real time web analytics
Report - - RAF/USAF Upper Heyford, Oxfordshire, February 2013 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF/USAF Upper Heyford, Oxfordshire, February 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

PCWOX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The history (from wiki)
RAF Upper Heyford was a Royal Air Force station located 5 miles (8 km) north-west of Bicester near the village of Upper Heyford, Oxfordshire, England.

The station was first used by the Royal Flying Corps in 1916 but was not brought into use for flying until July 1918 by the Royal Air Force. During the inter-war years and continuing through the Second World War until 1950 Upper Heyford was used mainly as a training facility. During the Cold War, Upper Heyford initially served as a base for United States Air Force Strategic Air Command (SAC) strategic bombers and later United States Air Forces In Europe (USAFE) tactical reconnaissance, fighter and fighter-bomber aircraft in the UK.
With the end of the Cold War, the presence of the 20th TFW was deemed no longer necessary in England. The USAF presence at RAF Upper Heyford was gradually phased down. The last US aircraft departed from Upper Heyford on 7th December 1993
The visit was organised through the management company there, and the guide, Don, was an absolute diamond. He must be around 75-80 and there is nothing he doesn't know about this site. A real salt of the earth chap.
On with some photos:

file-3.jpg

file-4.jpg

Aircraft Hangar
file-5.jpg

file-11.jpg

file-13.jpg

file-15.jpg

file-20.jpg

file-21.jpg

Sadly Don wouldn't let me climb this lookout tower
file-19.jpg

Weather tower
file-25.jpg

The control bunker was excellent:
file-55.jpg

Decontamination shower
file-53.jpg

Officers had to put clothes in here for washing before entry to control room
file-51.jpg

file-49.jpg

file-41.jpg

file-38.jpg

file-29.jpg

file-40.jpg

file-31.jpg

Switchboard
file-50.jpg

After the tour of the airfield side was over, I made my way over the road to the community side for a few more shots:

US Gas Pumps
file-59.jpg

file-61.jpg

Bleachers for the baseball pitch:
file-71.jpg

file-79.jpg

file-76.jpg

file-70.jpg

Large classroom
file-87.jpg

file-89.jpg

US Style fire hydrant
file-69.jpg

Boiler room
file-85.jpg

US style street sign
file-88.jpg

This site is well worth a visit in my book, and one I had to get done as it is local to me. A good afternoon.