Web
Analytics
Report - - RAF Watton, Norfolk. Airfield defences, March 2016 | Military Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Watton, Norfolk. Airfield defences, March 2016

The_Mole

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
If you fancy a tag along feel free to give me a message,i would like to head back
Will do chap. My mate wanted to go back too and explore a flooded Stanton shelter on the site. I think there may be some squatters living in one of the bomb sheds, but we managed to avoid them last time! Not sure what involvement the farmer has with it, but a lot of the vegetation has been cut back. Not sure if thats the Squatters using it for a wood burner of farmer cutting it back in preparation to knock it all down.

Vapeexpert86

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Will do chap. My mate wanted to go back too and explore a flooded Stanton shelter on the site. I think there may be some squatters living in one of the bomb sheds, but we managed to avoid them last time! Not sure what involvement the farmer has with it, but a lot of the vegetation has been cut back. Not sure if thats the Squatters using it for a wood burner of farmer cutting it back in preparation to knock it all down.

I was there around 2 months ago and noticed that,what makes you think there is squaters? probably me leaving traces lol

The_Mole

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was born in Caston 1952. part of the old airfield was used as go kart racing before the prison was built. Most of my school mates during the 1960's were off the old camp. I moved to Ovington later and used to go to Shipdham Airfield . I believe Raf Watton was where the very first B17 landed for duty. The Blenhiem Bombers were stationed there before handing over. An old school mate opened an RAF Museum in the old officer's mess on the camp, a Julian Horn his dad was well known as one of our high school teachers. Shame so much is gone from Tottington old village. went round when I was about 12, (1964/65)
Hi Gordo. Thats interesting about the Go carting on the Griston site. I remember watching some sort of Rally Racing going on around the Camp parade ground and accomodation blocks. Was quite a big site and I recall seeing quite a lot of stuff that the RAF just left behind when they left. Glasses, seives, trays, New carpets, spanners, tool, fire bells, tables etc.
Yes, that is correct, The B17C I think was Known as the Fortress I in RAF service and was first in service in England by the RAF at Watton. I love the Mosquitoes personally, especially the Red tail ones the 25 BG (Recon) used to use. Lovely blue / Grey colour.
Yes, I know Julian Horn. I used to go to ATC with his Daughter. Unfortunately I never kept in touch with her when I left. Still need to visit the new museum now its moved to the Town hall. I remember when I was at school he done a talk in the officers mess on the old camp and bought in a Sten gun. (Bet you couldnt do that now!) Then we had a look around the museum and had a go at answering some pre set questions. Very interesting. I learnt a lot about the airfield that day.

The_Mole

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was there around 2 months ago and noticed that,what makes you think there is squaters? probably me leaving traces lol
Haha, no this whas a while ago. There was a car parked and some activity around the bomb sheds. Some tarp and improvised doors on it too. Thought it might have been the farmer at first, but when a pair of us went back a month or so later, he climbed one of the banks, then came running back because there was people milling about and a wood burning stove on the go. The was tarp kind of fencing off the area too, that I saw, with the bottom of peoples legs milling about. We avoided the area and tried to be as quiet as poss. We didnt get accosted, so assume we done a good job! hahaha

Vapeexpert86

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Haha, no this whas a while ago. There was a car parked and some activity around the bomb sheds. Some tarp and improvised doors on it too. Thought it might have been the farmer at first, but when a pair of us went back a month or so later, he climbed one of the banks, then came running back because there was people milling about and a wood burning stove on the go. The was tarp kind of fencing off the area too, that I saw, with the bottom of peoples legs milling about. We avoided the area and tried to be as quiet as poss. We didnt get accosted, so assume we done a good job! hahaha

Is there anything in the wooded area in the centre of the airfield?