real time web analytics
Report - - RAF West Raynham - Fakenham - July 2020 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF West Raynham - Fakenham - July 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

DustySensorPhotography

28DL Regular User
Regular User
History:
Upon opening in 1939, RAF West Raynham was used for WW2 services which led to the losses of 86 of its most treasured fleet of planes.
The institute closed in 1994, though the MoD retained rights to its use until 2006 when the site was sold and is now used as a business park, like many other ex-RAF sites.
Today it spends its time being used for businesses such as airsoft and other general companies as well as serving as a solar farm.

The Explore:
After camping down a nearby track, @UrbandonedTeam, @The Excursionists and I headed to the complex.
The first building we got to was the Officers' Mess which boasted some first-rate architecture and decay.

The piano hall with an alluringly decaying ceiling and scintillating windows stretching almost from floor to roof.
50122212966_edb51e6484_b.jpg

Another social/common room here, bedecked with a fireplace and classic french doors at either entrance.
50122437082_4b8b493d39_b.jpg

The bar sector of the Officers' Mess here with an array of natural decay, luckily spared from too much vandalism.
50122436967_b8725f43c9_b.jpg

After leaving the first building, we came to the illustrious gym which is redolent of a typical High School sports hall, though I can't say mine was as large as this!
50122436912_4e04cec93e_b.jpg

The heaving decaying changing rooms and toilets for the gym sharply contrast with the sterile main hall.
50121645723_dc6e539d48_b.jpg

Just before entering the restaurant we got stopped by a security pick-up who seemed like a very pleasant chap. We insisted we weren't thinking of entering the buildings, though I'm not sure he was as credulous as he purported to be, since we saw him driving up and down around where we were soon after that... Regardless, we managed to infiltrate the building without too much hastle.
50122212771_a19b9bb3e1_b.jpg

Directly beneath the foregoing shot is this main entrance to the restaurant.
50122436802_76b1cbe280_b.jpg

Presumably a dining area for the restaurant; it's a shame there are no tables left at all to demonstrate the establishment's hospitable prowess.
50121645618_cc49b3569b_b.jpg

Finally we came to the tower block at the rear of the site. Pictured here are the motors which lead straight into the large, protruding column with a favourably placed ladder.
50121645953_b14fa55f85_b.jpg

Please excuse my hand held shots, it was far too windy up there for a tripod, but the view of the site is nonetheless unrivalled.
50122212671_f2f0dc9854_b.jpg

Thank you for reading :)

DustySensorPhotography

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Lovely photos of the place, showcased well. Hard to believe its used by anyone really.

So do these pay any rental or have they brought some of the ground, Im a bit confused lol.
Thank you!
The buildings I photographed aren’t used by anybody but there are other buildings on the same campus rented/owned by various companies for general business use is my understanding of it :)

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Thank you!
The buildings I photographed aren’t used by anybody but there are other buildings on the same campus rented/owned by various companies for general business use is my understanding of it :)
Ah ok, that makes complete sense now. cheers for clearing that up. I just like to know if a site is live, semi live, or totally abandoned.