Web
Analytics
Report - - RAF Woodbridge May 2017 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - RAF Woodbridge May 2017

Ozymandias

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Decent set of photos! Little more info might be good. What is half that crap in there?
The wikipedia page contains all the interesting info on it but it was built in world war II so that damaged aircraft could land. Then used by the americans for the A-10 tankbusters during the cold war (hence the many references around the site to warthogs etc) from what I can gather this area of the base was abandoned around 1994 and now just used for storage .There were over 20 of the blastproof rooms but most secured with padlocks.Quite a few were open and as per the pictures had military kitchen equipment etc in .others contained personal effects which I assume were cleared from the nearby rock barracks .There was also lots of unsafe and faulty electrical appliances which again I assume were removed from the nearby barracks. I really enjoyed this explore .I believe the entire site including the rock barracks is to be totally decommissioned by 2020

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Woodbridge

Last edited by a moderator:

Ozymandias

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Sorry the site is due to close in 2027 with the 23rd parachute regiment who are currently based there to move to Colchester.I did see the parachute regiments insignia spraypainted on a few of the locked tight blast rooms so I assume they store non valuable and non sensitive stuff in them.But this part of the base is pretty derelict as my photos show

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Blimey when was this. I know this base very well and its history and even service men & woman from here. Ive been here, but never had access, as its gate has always been closed. You probably know the very famous history here. Nice to see inside some of it. I have photos of inside when it was in use .;)

hamtagger

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Damn that's pretty cool. Was set up as an SSA (Special Storage Area) back in the day for storage/prep of nuclear weapons but I think they ended up storing them at Bentwaters instead.
Looks like you could spend a day wondering about in there :)

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Damn that's pretty cool. Was set up as an SSA (Special Storage Area) back in the day for storage/prep of nuclear weapons but I think they ended up storing them at Bentwaters instead.
Or did they lol. so many stories. (store the weapons at Bentwaters , I mean) lol. Who knows. Some servicemen will say different, some say it never happened. As an agreement was in place with UK & USA Gov as to where they could be stored. Nobody wants to admit they were moved, or stored else where. All amongst claims that the UFO beamed its light on the storage unit that housed weapons at Woodbridge. Ooer pmsl

Such a crazy place :confused::confused::thumb

hamtagger

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Much eerie :D.

Yeah places like this were all hush hush and quite understandably, and lots of conflicting info online too. Just some of the clues from the pictures lead me to think it was intended as an SSA (the double fences, underground sections and the shape of the igloos and compartments), but ended up being a conventional weapons ESA. Still, I'd like a wander around here :)

Ozymandias

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yeah I didn't know about this storage area although I live only 15-20 minutes drive away.I went for a drive around and stumbled upon it .so parked up found the holes in fences and went in .It was quite late by then and getting dark so I came back the following day to do a proper explore.Its a big site so certainly many hours of fun to be had