real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Yatesbury: West Camp, Wiltshire. May 2011 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Yatesbury: West Camp, Wiltshire. May 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

28DL Member
28DL Member
This is my first report of my very first explore back in 2011 - I hope it's ok to post backdated reports?
As far as I know, my information is correct but please let me know if not. I also wasn't sure how many photos to include?

The oldest airbase in Europe. Opened in 1916, operational for both World Wars. Reopened in 1936 as a Radar and Wireless Training School. Finally closed in 1965. Scheduled for redevelopment which ceased in 2007 and has yet to be resumed.

1d0080.jpg

WW2 Pillbox

230002.jpg

Engine Lifting Gantry in Main Generator House

322197.jpg

Four Bay MT Shed. Now home to a door collection

50a3c6.jpg

6cca24.jpg

WW2 Aircrew Ready Room

7971ad.jpg

87e982.jpg

Hard to make out now but it's the green cross on the gable end of Sick Bay/Medical Centre

9d330b.jpg

Gymnasium/squash court

10cefea.jpg

Squash court. At this point cane furniture still remained on the spectator balcony (behind camera). Now all the furniture has been trashed and thrown over onto the court

11b1cee.jpg

End view of main accommodation block

12687d0.jpg

Leading to first floor of accommodation block. The gap at the top isn't a landing, it's a great big hole in the flight of stairs

13d7aee.jpg

First floor pretty inaccessible due to collapsed ceilings/floors

14b9068.jpg

View from boiler room steps - until shortly before this pic was taken the WW2 boiler was still in situ

150876b.jpg

The only part I saw that still had a suspended wood floor (foreground). Rest of the floors are gone. Guessing the planks cover a hole?

162146c.jpg

1766006.jpg

Just like in every house, someone always fails to replace the loo roll..

180b85f.jpg

Front aspect/entrance of accommodation block

1923ee8.jpg

Fire damage

204d11b.jpg

21c0041.jpg

22e8039.jpg

Officers' Mess (Grade II listed)

23e2b7f.jpg

Front bay of Flying Control/ Watch Office

242c2fc.jpg

WW1 General Service Hangar (Grade II listed). Has been reroofed

252462e.jpg

Remains of Maintenance/Repair Hangar. On previous visits, the main structure was largely intact but I didn't have a camera with me. Was Grade II listed

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
The site of my first ever explore too. A bit of research tells me that the planning applications for housing have recently been resubmitted, this time with less proposed units.

Fisher

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I went here last night, Easy to walk into, quite overgrown on the outside areas but clear and almost clean on the indoors, I think this is used as an Airsoft location now. Didn't stay long but will defo head back for a gander. @Bertie Bollockbrains, if you fancy it one night