real time web analytics
Report - - Ramsagte ARP Main / East Cliff Section, Ramsgate, Kent, January 2013 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ramsagte ARP Main / East Cliff Section, Ramsgate, Kent, January 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

silverainbow

Here today, Gone tomorrow
28DL Full Member
Hi all have been wanting to get in to the Ramsgate Tunnels for a very long time now so when Space Invader tipped me off that I should get my backside down there I did just that :D , So now for a little history about this amazing network of ARP's courtesy of the Ramsgate History forum.

The design and construction of the tunnels was masterminded by the Borough Engineer Mr. R.D. Brimmell B.Sc. A.M.I.C.E. as early as 1938, but was repeatedly turned down by the Home Office. Ramsgate's flamboyant Mayor of the time A.B.C. Kempe kept the pressure on, and with the increasing intensity of the war in Europe permission to start construction was given in the Spring of 1939.

Work started immediately at a cost of just over £40,000 plus a further £13,500 for services and fittings. The first section between Queen Street and the Harbour was opened by the Duke of Kent on the 1st June 1939.

The tunnels were 6 feet wide, 7 feet high and constructed at a depth of 50-75 feet to provide an adequate degree of protection against random bombing with 500 lb. and 1000 lb. medium capacity bombs. In the case of a direct hit, a 500 lb. bomb would not be expected to damage the tunnel; but some spalling (splintering) of the chalk would be expected if the bomb was a 1000 lb. medium capacity type and the overhead cover was less than 60 feet.

After the end of World War II a large sewer pipe was installed in part of the system under Ellington Road and continued down to the Harbour. The remaining entrances were sealed and the tunnels began to fall into disrepair.

More to Be had Here http://www.ramsgatehistory.com/forum/index.php?topic=311.0

And now for a few of my pics taken over two Visits, The first with Maverick and the Second With Dan H

photo7.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

photo4.jpg

Dan Doing His Thing

DSC_0002.jpg

photo12.jpg

photo14.jpg

photosteps1.jpg

photo5.jpg

Thats All Folks, Thanks for Viewing :thumb