real time web analytics
Report - - Ramsgate Tunnel Main Section July 2011 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ramsgate Tunnel Main Section July 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
I did a revisit recently with my first real underground try out with the d90.
I would have thought i would have put a report up on this very local tunnel as Ive visited it many many times but it seems not..The entrance all us explorers used was finally sealed months back but as ever ways in have been found.
So myself Space invader obscurity and frosty decided to have one more look down here before feasibility studies are carried out after a national lottery funding of£56,000 gets underway..there's a huge amount of history out there on the main section i could spout many of the facts myself as its been in my life since 1984 but ill opt for a link and let the pictures of the areas we covered do the rest

Tunnel Railway - Wikipedia

On with some photographs in no particular order as we split up so as not to get in each other's way!!

Looking down towards the south portal from where the side entrance into the ww2 spur is

DSC_0006.jpg

Looking back the other way towards the northern portal

DSC_0008.jpg

Looking at the blockage at boundry road park area heading towards the cannon road section ,approx 25 yard stretch of downfall caused by a burst water main over head in the 1950's...good luck digging that out boys

DSC_0013.jpg

Concrete lined section just before the blockage leading towards the semi blocked stairs going up to boundry road park!

DSC_0015.jpg

Passage leading to the stairs going up

DSC_0019.jpg

Chalk passage leading along from main tunnel

DSC_0010.jpg

One of the concrete lined areas

DSC_0020.jpg

Stairs leading up to arklow square

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

chalked lined section leading back towards main tunnel

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

Sealed entrance to marine esplanade which leads into what we all know as the dome and the stairs going up to the Victoria parade entrance next to the Granville theatre

DSC_0037.jpg

Water tank i do believe

DSC_0038.jpg

original tunnel signage

DSC_0040.jpg

Actual entrance into the ww2 spur

DSC_0047.jpg

Puch maxi breaking for spares anyone!

DSC_0048.jpg

Entrance to stairs leading to dumpton park drive entrance(couldn't face the many steps up)

DSC_0049.jpg

Spur leading to the scenic railway going up to the old hereson road station

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

Actual re backfill and sealed up proper entrance.

DSC_0059.jpg

Now considering this is in the middle of the track I'm not sure of its purpose as it must have been a later addition after main line closed..there's a big round metal vent looking pipe running from the top away to the right??!

DSC_0062.jpg

One last shot looking towards the blocked north portal entrance

DSC_0065.jpg

..sorry if i went on a little i really thought id posted this before but to be honest glad i didn't as the pictures are coming along a bit now :)

Last edited: