real time web analytics
Report - - Ramsgate Tunnels Kent Nov 2012 - Dec 2015 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ramsgate Tunnels Kent Nov 2012 - Dec 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Jane Doe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Originally constructed as a railway to connect the harbour of the town with the main train line, Ramsgate Tunnels are two and a half miles long and in some places are as much as 27 metres below the surface. The largest of the tunnels, dates back to October 1863, when it was opened as a railway tunnel serving Ramsgate Harbour Station.

The line closed in 1926, when the current Ramsgate station opened. However, the tunnel was brought back into use in 1936, when a narrow gauge railway ran between Hereson Road and the seafront.
Originally constructed as a railway to connect the harbour of the town with the main train line, Ramsgate Tunnels are two and a half miles long and in some places are as much as 27 metres below the surface. The largest of the tunnels, dates back to October 1863, when it was opened as a railway tunnel serving Ramsgate Harbour Station.

The line closed in 1926, when the current Ramsgate station opened. However, the tunnel was brought back into use in 1936, when a narrow gauge railway ran between Hereson Road and the seafront.

The second phase of construction for the Tunnels was during the Second World War, when the Mayor or Ramsgate commissioned the construction of a series of tunnels to serve as underground shelters to protect the inhabitants of Ramsgate. Due to Ramsgate’s close proximity to Europe, the town suffered from heavy bombing during the Second World War.

On 24 August 1940, 500 German bombs were dropped on Ramsgate in just five minutes. Despite the heavy bombardment, the deep shelters saved lives and as a consequence only 29 civilians and two soldiers were lost. The bombardment on 24 August 1940 destroyed roughly 1,200 homes and, as a result of homelessness, roughly 300 families took to living in the tunnels on a permanent basis.

The tunnels became a subterranean town with shops, barbers, canteens, concerts and even an underground hospital. After the end of the war, the tunnels were slowly sealed and abandoned.

The scenic railway was re-opened in 1946 but was finally closed in 1965. Following this, the tunnels were derelict for a number of years, and without regular maintenance the tunnels were in danger of deterioration and collapse.

Visited the tunnels on quite a few occassions with Stealth , Wevesky, Obscurity, Space Invader and Urban Ginger . Really enjoyed all the times underground .Amazing to see the network of tunnels and to think of all the people that were down there during the war .

Seffy

Staff member
Proper job that; good lighting too :) sounds like you spent quite a bit of time down there !

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
yes yes yes!!! Loving all these old locations you've been posting. This place is where it all started for me, the first ever explore I did 15 years ago :)
Keep em coming :thumb

Jane Doe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
yes yes yes!!! Loving all these old locations you've been posting. This place is where it all started for me, the first ever explore I did 15 years ago :)
Keep em coming :thumb
This was my first underground explore , i wasnt sure what to expect tbh but i absolutly loved it ...it is awesome to do underground stuff and since moving away i have missed it a lot :( it was great being shown the tunnels from you guys ... massive thanks :)

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
At least part of it is now open to the public, but maybe much more sanitised than the old days.
Thats true, but its not the same sadly. I do like a tour of places, but to go where no one sees is so compelling. I may pop down there next year just for a look.