real time web analytics
Report - - Rank Hovis/ Clarence Flour Mill, Hull –April 2009 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Rank Hovis/ Clarence Flour Mill, Hull –April 2009

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bunk3r

28DL Memb3r
28DL Full Member
The Rank Hovis/ Clarence Flour Mill in Hull opened in 1891 closed December 2005. The silo is mostly the original Victorian build, designed by W. Alfred Gelder of Hull. The rest of the original mill was destroyed in 1940 during the war (Hull was very heavily bombed) the mill as it is today was built around the remainder of the old silo in the 1950s (the original silo is the lighter brickwork and the 'Clarence' Signage etc), currently the mill sits proudly on the riverbank as reminder of Hull's former position as the second largest milling centre in the kingdom. The currently proposed development will feature a larger 85m 23 storey tower. The Rank name is responsible for products such as Hovis, Bisto, Mr Kipling, Paxo and many more.

A week or so ago I explored it again with Cactusmelba and Chauffeur. I’ll start with a couple of older pics first:

Here is the Mill, at night back in December (on film):
Photo26_22ARankHovisSmall.jpg

Heres my favourite picture I took when I first visited the mill last summer:
P1040242.jpg

And onto the pictures from the recent visit-
Stitched panoramic looking over Hull:
ClarencePanoLarge.jpg

Bags of flour:
P1050826Small.jpg

I don’t even know what this is, but flour went down it (on film):
Photo35_33Small.jpg

The floors of the mill are still lined with rows of wooden flour coated machinery, they don’t make them like that anymore (on Film):
Photo29_27Small.jpg

Me looking out of one of the infamous round windows (on film):
Photo27_24ASmall.jpg

Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details