real time web analytics
Report - - Rank Hovis Mill, Ramsgate - August 2012 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Rank Hovis Mill, Ramsgate - August 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

sirjonnyp

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
In my ongoing quest to knock over all of the big sites around Kent, this one came up next. I've always like the look of this place since I've been on the forum, so it was nice to be able to head over and have what was in the end quite a relaxed explore. After some confusion I met up with Stealth just around the corner from the mill, and with the aid of his tripod made it on to the site, glad not to be greeted by rumoured polish secca or dogs. So on we pressed.

I'll cover the mill in this first post, then follow on with the air raid shelter in the post after.

History taken from Reef's report, doesn't seem to be much about the place online...
The Ramsgate Flour Mill was built in 1865, and closed in 2005 when the site was sold by Rank Hovis to a private developer, as it was no longer commercially viable. The mill survived two world wars, but sustained heavy bombing during World War 2.
A planning application has been submitted for residential redevelopment for a total of 72 apartments and 17 dwellinghouses comprising; change of use, partial demolition, extension & residential conversion of main mill building and residential conversion of ancillary office buildings.

DSC_1012.jpg

DSC_1000.jpg

DSC_0890.jpg

DSC_0894.jpg

DSC_0902.jpg

As we made our way across the walkway to the non-silo side of the complex, it became very apparent that the place had been utterly stripped of copper, which was a shame. Many floors just covered in empty tubing.

DSC_0925.jpg

DSC_0934.jpg

Stealth living up to his name and getting in the back of my pictures without me realising :rolleyes:

DSC_0940.jpg

DSC_0937.jpg

We had a few issues with fire doors as we navigated the confusing layout of rooms, but we got there in the end. Most of the rooms still had their original machines, but pretty much every wire had gone, with occasional graffiti dotted around.

DSC_0945.jpg

DSC_0943.jpg

Stealth reliably informs me that a few years ago he crawled across this girder. Balls of steel.

DSC_0948.jpg

DSC_0957.jpg

DSC_0971.jpg

That completed most of the site, so we made a move for the roof, although now I think about it we only did the roof on the silo side :rolleyes:

DSC_0986.jpg

DSC_0987.jpg

DSC_0990.jpg

This room at the top was littered with sketchy looking trapdoors to the darkness below.

DSC_0995.jpg

The room at the very, very top of the mill now belongs to the pigeons. The smell of their faecal matter from that room is still haunting me!

We spent quite a while in there, and pretty much saw all of it, apart from that other roof. Shame to see the place in a sorry state compared how others have found it over the last few years, but a nice explore anyway. After the mill we headed off for a pint and some derps, more to follow!

SJP​

sirjonnyp

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Now for the shelter below the mill.

History from Thanet Underground:
The mill survived two world wars, but sustained heavy bombing during World War 2. As the threat of war came nearer, air raid tunnels were dug. One “for the menâ€￾ was dug under the old railway cattle pens (to the rear of the site), which gave the shelter about 25 feet of chalk and concrete as protection.

For the office workers, a separate shelter was constructed, which was a brick lined tunnel dug from the general office down into the ground. Under the mill, this was made wider to give a fair size room. A way out was up two long flights of concrete steps into the Margate Road.

The shelter was provided with a bucket toilet, gas curtains either end, lighting and heating. When “Hudsons look-outâ€￾ gave the alarm, the office staff would pick up their ledgers and file down the stairs and carry on working in their underground office. During the war, the mill was very lucky. A lot of damage was done for nine bombs fell on the mill site, with only one failing to go off.

The street entrance to the air raid shelter was bricked up after the war, and the entrance from beneath the office was also sealed up. Apart from a brief inspection in 1984, the tunnel has been blocked up ever since. However, by kind permission of the site’s new owner, and an ex-employee showing us where the entrance was, we recently gained access to the office air raid shelter.

Despite the fact the entrance was right by the main road and it was in daylight, we just went for it. No problemo.

DSC_1010.jpg

Looking back towards the entrance.

DSC_1003.jpg

The main room of the shelter.

DSC_1006.jpg

DSC_1004.jpg

DSC_1007.jpg

The other exit, now sealed.​

Nice little shelter that, we didn't see any signs of the much rumoured bigger shelter/tunnels under the mill either.

SJP

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
No its not demolished as such,some parts yes,but the main of it is now in full swing for conversion

rich420

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
oh fair i moved away from thanet back to essex so wasn't a hundred percent on what was going on with it