Web
Analytics
Report - - Ransacked Farm House - Dereham, Norfolk - April 2017 | Residential Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Ransacked Farm House - Dereham, Norfolk - April 2017

Five.Claws

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hello fellow explorers, this is my first report here: hope you enjoy and that it may even be the first time hearing about this place for a few people.

----

Location: Just north of Dereham, heading towards the Gressenhall workhouse but situated off the road, in a wooded area. Hope that's vague enough! :p

I was extremely keen to get exploring this place literally the moment I heard about it - an old farm house out in the back of beyond, still chock full of possessions and belongings... a moment of someone's life frozen in time.

The following evening, I headed out. It wasn't quite as remote as I'd hoped, with the edge of a housing estate at the back of the property; however the house itself is obscured and hidden from prying eyes.
Sadly though, the place is just near enough to civilisation for the local teens and troublemakers to have obviously sniffed it out some time ago and tragically, the place has been turned over inside with many belongings smashed and broken and the floors of all the rooms completely buried by whatever once lined shelves and filled drawers and cupboards. Furniture lies in heaps, tipped over or flung against the wall.

Despite this though, there's still some bizarre and fantastic finds to be had. Nothing appears to have been taken from the house, simply thrown on the floor or smashed. Amongst the piles of assorted stuff on the floor and surfaces you'll see photo albums, old books dating back to the 1950s, letters, bottles of (definitely expired) drinks and all the odd little knick knacks that make up someone's life.
Newspapers, bills and correspondence can be found scattered around; put there by the owner in his final days and left exactly where they were put down... when not thrown to the floor later, anyway.
This leads to a very strange atmosphere throughout the property - it's unsettling to see a person's life treated this way yet at the same time so much is left laid out for you to see. Family photos and wedding pictures are still to be found on tables and on the old electric organ (the vandals seemed oddly unwilling to touch these); the old man's jackets and his wife's clothes are still hanging on backs of doors and wardrobes. His mobility apparatus sits over one of the toilets. An oven glove hangs forlornly from a hook in the kitchen. It's a completely surreal experience.
(History-wise the cottage was apparently just boarded up and forgotten after the owner died, from the calendar still hanging on the walls this seems to have been in 2006. Since then it appears no one has ever come forward to do anything about the place and it lies slowly rotting.)

Word of warning though:- prepare for this one. It's pitch black inside as all the windows and doors are covered, with the only way in being through a removed panel in the kitchen door, so you'll need a strong torch. With the floors so completely swimming in broken equipment and objects, be constantly on the lookout where you step as there's shattered glass and crockery everywhere, not to mention endless trip hazards.
Most importantly - pay close attention to each room and definitely bring a mask or breathing apparatus. The air inside the house is cold, damp, close and unpleasant (further adding to the weird, oppressive atmosphere). Upstairs, particularly in the bedrooms, a collapsed ceiling has led to very nasty black mould and fungus forming all over the place so the air is definitely not safe for prolonged exposure.

Outside of the cottage there are many farm sheds and barns to one side of the land. I'm not sure how easy all of these are to enter, as I focused mainly on the house however they're still worth a poke about. Many areas lie collapsed or crumbling and they seem to have been attempted to be set alight at one point or another, but there's still interesting old farming equipment and tools to be found.

In summary: I've done a fair few urban explorations now but this place is something else - I've personally never seen anywhere quite like it. I'm sure for some of you hardened wanderers it's a little less of a big deal, but I would absolutely recommend this cottage to investigate. To see an old man's life stuck, Miss Havisham-like, in time forever (even despite the damage done by thoughtless people) is a weird, unsettling and endlessly fascinating experience. I'm sure it's probably only a matter of time before someone burns it to the ground, the more valuable or interesting possessions are looted or the family finally come along and bulldoze the place so the sooner you can experience it the better!
Just take care in there... :U

----

Not the best photos ever - getting used to the SLR again after a long period of not using it. Additionally, we didn't want to hang around too long given the bad air and a run-in with a couple of guys also poking around that we felt slightly uneasy of...

f0fa61f99eddc2a38584d36354741fcd.jpg

This is your way into the cottage. Don't believe that's actually blood on the door...

5c4482771b166c24cce1321d644d9c30.jpg

A (somewhat working) piano lurks just inside the door.

2de6335c0285938517cbf2e170c9f7af.jpg

The kitchen is the only room with natural light.

ce4d212c69baf0a7831d35fc6e356b67.jpg

94f23242a8ffa33efc3f8c873c405b0f.jpg

75cf2fc0f82d641d16b8e7c1b1e30874.jpg

85d95325833a211550ef4bdd169ab7d4.jpg

Strangely untouched family photos.

b502e257a670c1a929b4985d9f4b6406.jpg

68883b0a3a1f91f6ee49ca1deee9b223.jpg

This forgotten teddy bear was one of the more upsetting things to be found.

b78c2859a6caba20d05bb2ccdce55f09.jpg

c7f711584b7d0672baad86dd52da4ecb.jpg

b0500577c2b760836789cb8e25b6c7d4.jpg

Kateuk

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good work! I love the ones where it looks like the owner could come back and pick up right where they left off (with massive clean out of course!). If you want to give me a little more info since I assume there were names on some of those bills, I can try to dig up a story on it if you fancy. The visit and story is even better with a bit of history I think.

Five.Claws

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
If you want to give me a little more info since I assume there were names on some of those bills, I can try to dig up a story on it if you fancy. The visit and story is even better with a bit of history I think.
Unfortunately I can't remember the owner's name now but I do know the name of the farm itself. Obviously I know that making exact references to a site's location is frowned upon, but if you'd like to PM me I'd be happy to share. ^^

Yorrick

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Obviously I know that making exact references to a site's location is frowned upon
No it's not. Every report on here is supposed to have the correct name in the title.

Just north of Dereham, heading towards the Gressenhall workhouse but situated off the road, in a wooded area.
Anyone with internet access should be able to find it on a map with that info anyway, I have, so what's it called?

Five.Claws

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
No it's not. Every report on here is supposed to have the correct name in the title.
Anyone with internet access should be able to find it on a map with that info anyway, I have, so what's it called?
From looking around on here it seemed to me that it was considered good etiquette not to reveal too much of the location publicly as it might lead to the wrong people finding the place etc.

If this isn't the case I'll be happy to update the report with the farm's name and more precise location details.

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
This is a good effort
Sometimes these old places full of stuff can be quite interesting.
Keep at it

Five.Claws

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Location Edit: At admin request, I'll be a little clearer on the location of the cottage (it's already known and pretty messed up anyway). The farm is called Quebec Farm and is located a fair way back from the road between Dereham and Gressenhall / Beetley. After leaving Dereham in this direction you'll soon be confronted with a sharp bend to the right with a very beautiful "gingerbread house" cottage on the corner. Roughly 20-30 metres up from this you should see a dirt track leading off from the right hand side of the road. Follow this track all the way down and the cottage will be right in front of you. There are no other occupied buildings down this path, and if you continue past the cottage you'll eventually come to another paved road - turn right here and you'll soon be back in Dereham. There's decent room to park at the top of the track should you want to, and then walk the rest, or you can drive all the way and park in front of the cottage (doesn't really seem very adventurous to me though!).