real time web analytics
Report - - Rauceby Hospital, Sleaford, January 2017 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Rauceby Hospital, Sleaford, January 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

GirlGeekUpNorth

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
In the New Year, we decided to take a trip to Sleaford in Lincolnshire for a spot of urban exploration. Our original intended destination was Sleaford Bass Maltings, but it was Rauceby Hospital, originally known as Kesteven County Asylum that became our main explore.

History of Rauceby Hospital

Rauceby Hospital, originally called Kesteven County Asylum, is a now-defunct mental institution in the parish of Quarrington, Lincolnshire, England. Building work was commenced in 1897, the facility was completed and opened in 1902. After changing hands and names several times the main hospital building was closed in 1998 and abandoned for several years. From 2004 parts of the site underwent redevelopment to convert it into private housing.

The Report

After giving up on Bass Maltings we decided to take the short trip to Rauceby Hospital. Located in the middle of a new housing estate, we parked up and headed straight in. Our only potential issue was a security hut with running generator, but after closer inspection, the hut was empty, and we were left to explore in peace.

Despite having only part of the original site remaining, and the buildings being almost completely gutted, we still enjoyed having a look around. Most buildings were boarded up or completely empty. The orangery was a nice find, located between what would have been the Doctor’s flats.

The main section of the hospital building is gone, but the six wards located around the edge remain. Most are either boarded up or have had everything (including the flooring) removed, but we had a nice exploration of the Syringa and Camellia wards on the women’s side of the hospital.

After exploring what was left of Rauceby Hospital we walked around by the old chapel (now completely inaccessible) and through the woods to the old NHS Orchard House site. Staff were relocated and the site was closed, going on sale in 2012 for £1.5 million.

The newer hospital site was well secured, but on the way back through the woods we located a service tunnel. The tunnel ran all the way back to the hospital and had we had more time, there may have been the potential for gaining access.

IMG_20170107_140923.jpg

IMG_20170107_141305.jpg
IMG_20170107_141529.jpg

IMG_20170107_140901.jpg

IMG_20170107_143238.jpg
IMG_20170107_133503.jpg
IMG_20170107_135132.jpg

You can read my full experience including our attempt at Sleaford Bass Maltings here.

Last edited:

Landlad

28DL Member
28DL Member
Great post. It's always nice to see people taking an interest in the buildings around Sleaford. Rauceby hospital is always fun to explore although it is a shame not many of the buildings are still standing.
The tunnel which you found in the woods does take you right under the newer Orchard House building although last time I checked it out it lead to 2 locked doors. I would still recommend checking it out next time you are Sleaford way.

VictorCharlie

28DL Member
28DL Member
I worked here and lived in the residences. It was always great but seems better now it's all abandoned and everything. Would love to poke around it now.

Seffy

SWC
Staff member
I was actually wondering about this place only last week! Doesn't look much different now compared to how it was 5 years ago or so.. Shame the chapel wasn't open. Was admin?