Web
Analytics
Report - - Ravensworth Castle Gateshead Tyne & Wear April 2021 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ravensworth Castle Gateshead Tyne & Wear April 2021

MarkusCP87

Undiscovered locations in the UK
28DL Full Member
Always heard horror stories of this place, being told the owners are not keen on people being on there land, run in with guns and dogs but thought I want to see the place.
It's my first derelict castle I've explored, I've been in castles before, but they were restored and open to the public.
It is mostly a shell and in dire need of repairs.
Work started in 2018 but seems to have stopped for now.
I was gutted to see the Dungeons and tunnels had been sealed but still managed to explore most of the site.
I did see someone walk past but luckily the tree was big enough to hide my fat backside haha.

History of the place.

Ravensworth Castle is a ruined Grade II listed building, concealed in the trees of a privately owned woodland, in North Durham. The castle occupies the former site of an old fortress, which was allegedly named 'Ravens Helm', or in some records 'Ravens Weath', and two of its crumbling towers continue to exist to this day. The castle was passed between many different owners, however, its most recent possessors, the Liddell family, retained ownership for over 350 years; up until around 1910. After this, the castle was leased for a short period of time, for intended use as an all girl's school. Nonetheless, as is well known, the North East was radically affected by the growth of mining, particularly in the local vicinity of the castle, and by 1952, due to mining subsidence, a significant proportion of the building was demolished as it became substantially unstable. For those interested in old castles and ruins, the site still contains a number of towers, a gatehouse, sections of the curtain wall, cellars, a small network of tunnels and dungeons and some old interesting artefacts.

Thanks for looking.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice photos. That needs a hell of a lot of repairs, maybe plans were abandoned as the project is huge.

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is almost on my doorstep and just never got round to having a look so thanks for posting its better than i was expecting tbh.

MarkusCP87

28DL Full Member
Nice photos. That needs a hell of a lot of repairs, maybe plans were abandoned as the project is huge.
I'm not sure, I know the family who own the land aren't pleasnet apparently, they have the money to repair it but think they are preoccupied with other stuff.
It needs saving ASAP.

MarkusCP87

28DL Full Member
This is almost on my doorstep and just never got round to having a look so thanks for posting its better than i was expecting tbh.
It wasn't the easiest places to explore haha. Ended up in nettles and covered in grease but luckily the owners didn't see me or my partner.
It's a nice place just needs some serious DIY.