real time web analytics
Question - - Recommendation for a drone? | Photography and Video Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Recommendation for a drone?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

crusader

28DL New Member
28DL Full Member
Hi people, currently looking at recommendations for a drone? I'm hoping to get one for about £150 ish. I've found this one on Amazon- hoping to get something that's middle of the road, not too expensive but does the job to get some decent footage. I've used a drone before so is it a good idea to go for a more expensive one.
This one's a bit over budgrt but you get what pay for:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077XSV98N/?tag=networkmechan-21

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
Do you have a 3d printer or access to one? I'm just finishing up printing a mavic pro 2 clone, you could get it in the air for 150 if you choose your bits wisely.
There's also other dji clones as well.
I'm not familiar with the one you've linked, if you get one off the shelf choose one you can get parts for easily.
Rcgroups will have reviews/threads on pretty much most multirotors out there.

Gorgi

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi people, currently looking at recommendations for a drone? I'm hoping to get one for about £150 ish. I've found this one on Amazon- hoping to get something that's middle of the road, not too expensive but does the job to get some decent footage. I've used a drone before so is it a good idea to go for a more expensive one.
This one's a bit over budgrt but you get what pay for:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077XSV98N/?tag=networkmechan-21
A used DJI Phantom 2 might5 be a good shout, it's a leading brand but at the same price as the one you listed.

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
Secondhand could be a minefield for you if its your first one, a lot of these so called perfect flyers are crash victims and the seller is ridding it because it's untrusted.
If you shop around though an old phantom or somthing is a good shout but be aware you are tied to dji for the most part with not only their software but their potentially expensive parts.
Edit, I would budget for new batteries if buying second hand, you just don't know their condition.

tigger

mog
Regular User
This might sound a bit silly but get one of the little cheerson x10 things for anout a tenner and learn to fly using that. Very agile and normal mode 2 controls so perfect for figure 8s, hovering and the like. No fancy stabilisation or software mission control just real flying. When you can fly accurately and safely with that you are ready to move up.
Once you've done that think about what you want to use the quadcopter for. Do you want really advanced mission planning and automomous use, if yes then you are looking mostly at DJI offerings (with their own software, and numerous very good third party apps though they cost). Is it just simple photography or video in more awkward to access open spaces. I don't do video but some of the cheaper drones give dire footage. Is it just to fly? Loads of cheap options if just for average speed flying.
The more modern/expensive the qaudcopter the easier it will be to fly (generally speaking!). Thing is you CAN now fly manually and that will save you from a lot of potentially expensive accidents when compass or gps fails and device says 'oh look, a tree, I wonder if will be friends'.
As you now know how to fly you are in a much better position to look at second-hand. If going that route then only buy one you can see and try....and see it flying first. That includes you flying it for at least one full battery (batteries are expensive) . Look for smooth rotation of props, little vibrartion when running. Check all controls, stable hover, all modes.....you can do that in 25 minutes. If the seller of a second hand one won't let you fly it for a full battery then look elsewhere as they know there is a problem with it. If it's a DJI then also try it with DJI software (android and ios versions available free).

I know little about cheaper new ones but as with most things these days there are plenty of bulletin boards dedicated to the genre. People on those will have far more extensive knowledge of the wide variety of kit.

Last edited:

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
The answer to this isn’t easy because it all hinges on budget and what you actually need from one.

I’d deffo stick with DJI as I’ve had a fair few now and they are reliable.

Spark isn’t bad for starters, just limited mainly on battery but quality isn’t bad.

A Mavic Air is a good all rounder for price, quality and portability.

But a phantom pro or Mavic pro series although more expensive are better again.

Plenty of YouTube reviews on them all to keep you busy

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I recommend you don’t fly it near Gatwick airport for a start. Not much help I don’t have one but scrappy puts up videos PM him.

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
mavic pro original is dropping in price now due to #2 being out. It did me well and fit into a relatively small backpack with my dslr and tripod - took me years of experimentation to work out that compact setup

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
I used to have a DJI Phantom 3 Standard but sold it due to the size of it and how large it was to transport around along with a bag of camera bits. I'd reccomend something like a Mavic, something that folds up small.

mrwhite

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
you aint gonna find a good one for £150...if you want to just fly it just for the sake of flying it, £150 will get you a cheap Chinese one

mingerocket

28DL Regular User
Regular User
If its for video or photography you may struggle to get anything that will get half decent results for £150
2nd hand dji spark worth a go if it's been looked after.
I'm running a yuneec mantis q since the spark met the tarmac after a collision. Gets nice stills and excellent battery life but the lack of fully stabilised camera gimbal make it pretty useless for video. Some of the cheap Chinese clones are reasonable fliers but the ones I've experienced come with poor user interface and pretty lousy cameras.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
2 choices really, 1 Mavic Air if money is a bit tight, if not get a Mavic 2 Pro unless you can go halfway and get a second hand Mavic Pro for a good price with spare batteries and accessories as plenty for sale once the 2 came out

Good luck :thumb