real time web analytics
Report - - Red Barn Drain - Chadderton - October 2015 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Red Barn Drain - Chadderton - October 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Red Barn Drain – Chadderton

1_zpsiyda2l7x.jpg

This was a pleasant stroll; after various levels of success at other locations Ojay mentioned the magic word ‘DRAINS’ clicked his heels 3 times and we ended up here.

Red Barn drain carries the Wince Brook through Chadderton; the drain got its name from a nearby pub, this has now changed names and masquerades as a bar and restaurant.

As drains go this one has it all, brick work, stone work, concrete sections, interesting formations and the odd side passage. Better still it’s not a welly breacher so you only get wet feet if you have a hole in you boot or I suppose slip over!

Enough of the introduction, it's time to see what lurks beyond the keyhole.

3_zpslh5fk37t.jpg

As you enter the drain you are immediately impressed with the initial brick work section.

4_zpsljrz8xvx.jpg

The first section is probably about 400m long with a 7ft diameter, an old pipe sticking out the wall.

5_zpsxq8q4mqf.jpg

A bit further up is another interesting feature, a couple of small pipes enter the brick drain.

6_zpsmyzzblqm.jpg

The further in you get the more interesting the features become and I'm not on about Ojay.

7_zpshgchf4re.jpg

Nicely coloured deposits on the walls of the drain.

8_zpsifbotio6.jpg

This section terminates at a nice brick chamber, with a surface water feed from a pipe,

9_zps5mtyb3mm.jpg

Looking back down the section of drain we had just come up.

10_zpsrrdhn1c5.jpg

Now into a short stoopy section, about 4ft in diameter and interesting to see the deformation of the brickwork making this section looked squashed.

11_zpsstthtpra.jpg

It might be stoopy, but still very nice.

12_zps7snuvvdj.jpg

That section was short lived and soon opens out again into a squashed 7ft section (That's not Ojays waist size these days either).

13_zpst4efemub.jpg

Again back to some great colours and formations and transition into a shot stoopy concrete section..

14_zpsrciu8pie.jpg

This soon becomes a very nice deformed brick section.

15_zpsyqwdtnlb.jpg

Looking back with some great stalactites hanging from the roof.

16_zpsaybxv8ih.jpg

Now into a section of egg shaped brick drain.

17_zpstvewdovn.jpg

This leads you nicely up to the transition to the stone lined section of the drain.

18_zpsrfr39tpw.jpg

Probably my favourite section of the whole drain.

19_zpshfvojqpc.jpg

The stone drain then reduces in diameter again to around 4ft and is brick lined again.

20_zpsmfxp7j4a.jpg

This is more or less the end of the road for us, things were remaining small and was assured it doesn't open up any further up.

21_zpsjryrjua8.jpg

A nice side drain intercepts the drain at this point.

22_zps2cuq5qxq.jpg

More or less the end for us, we decided to head about another 100m up the 3ft section just to see who was through the key hole?

23_zpsm1ltroht.jpg

I should have known really, it was an Ojay in his natural environment.

Great drain and an enjoyable day out, a big thanks to Ojay for being my lighting bitch.

Cheers,

TLR.​

Dudman

I'm not lost until I give up finding my way...
28DL Full Member
Shit, this is a lovely place but this shot really does it for me :)
19_zpshfvojqpc.jpg

Does anyone know what causes such a beautiful site? Is it just the continuous darkness, wet conditions and stale air?