real time web analytics
Report - - Redcar Blast Furnace - November 2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Redcar Blast Furnace - November 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
Wasn't sure whether to post a report from here or not. My photos aren't all that, but it was a pretty fun night so here's my take on it. All these are hand held shots, I may go back and take some proper ones at some point, but for me it was more about seeing the place than photographing it nicely this time round.

Myself, Elliot5200 and The_Raw had driven up from London and met Oaklyframer somewhere near Lincoln earlier that day. We'd scarcely had more than a few hours sleep, having done another 3 places in the previous 24 hours. Well you've got to make the best of these weekends, petrol is expensive!

We eventually arrive here at some ridiculous hour of the morning, several hours later than planned due to overstaying at our previous place. We waste no time in heading for our access point, all as keen as each other to do what they whole point of the trip was in the first place - climb the blast furnace.

We had a rough idea where to go, with a little bit of help from someone, but as ever with a place like this it all looks very different at ground level to google maps. Also despite the fact the blast furnace is pretty damn big, you couldn't actually see it from the side of the site we were on somehow.

Anyway after a little bit of "I think it's that way" and "I'm sure that bit is this bit on the map" and "is that a car? yes that's a car" we found ourselves on the site, pretty glad to have made it this far without being detected, but mindful that we still had a way to go.

There's a lot more on this site than the blast furnace itself and it was difficult not to get distracted and climb some of the other structures. We were on limited time however so keeping our eyes peeled for the slightest sign of activity, we cautiously made our way further into the site, past the massive MAN gas holder and into pipe city edging towards our goal.

This was our first proper glimpse of the structure as we rounded a corner.
IMG_3738_zpsisenhsn5.jpg

Getting closer
IMG_3759_zpshnbls0b4.jpg

Quick dash across no mans land
IMG_3767_zpsucrxtct5.jpg

We discuss different possibilities for actually climbing the thing, but in the end decide to just go for broke and head up the stairs. Cheeky buggers however have cut off some of the staircases, but not all of them. The furnace is basically one gigantic climbing frame once you're on it, so moving around once you've gone up a few floors isn't a problem. Saying that we did have to get a bit creative at one or two points to get to where we wanted to, it just made the whole thing more fun.

It's only when you actually get close to these things that you realise how fooking massive they really are and the scale of the industry becomes apparent.

IMG_3774_zpsxjki3y2v.jpg

Up we go
IMG_3783_zpsu3ldfb2n.jpg

A maze of walkways
IMG_3799_zpsvnw1elkf.jpg

IMG_3820_zps7mm35gzq.jpg

In the middle of the beast
IMG_3887_zpsapbkewlt.jpg

Passed by the very heart of the machine on the way up, we would return here later, but for now heading up was the priority.
IMG_3841_zpsu8ai1gq1.jpg

As we climbed higher and started to become a bit more relaxed in our surroundings, it allowed time for a little contemplation of where we actually were. It was strange to think that just over 2 months ago this impressive piece of engineering was churning out metal at a rate of many hundreds of tons per day, manned by a team of highly skilled and experienced engineers who more than likely took pride in their jobs and in their place of work. All that was gone in an instant. What was also quite sad is they're not wasting any time in dismantling the place, that is quite evident. This really is the end of steel making here, they'll never build any new ones of these and there's not many left in the UK. I mistakenly thought this was the only one left in the UK, turns out there are others - however this is the biggest. I do wonder what the future holds for the area as steel making has been a cornerstone in this part of the UK for generations.

IMG_3905_zpsqsfjzprc.jpg

GAS!
IMG_3917_zpsblo9a6pe.jpg

Crane
IMG_3932_zps8pqbxgic.jpg

IMG_3936_zps3iijwtil.jpg

Looking down
IMG_3941_zps7dzfwjwy.jpg

Massive conveyor that would have fed the raw materials to the furnace.
IMG_3987_zpshweb9rx3.jpg

Pipetastic.
IMG_4033_zpsnzeh9dht.jpg

I didn't realise until I got home and read about blast furnaces a bit that one of the most important aspects of a successful furnace is actually cooling it effectively. All this massive maze of pipework is in fact the cooling system. For those that are interested, there's a schematic on the wall of the office next door.

IMG_4060_zpsdf0vbers.jpg

The 'Brain' as the_raw likes to call it. I think it's very apt.
IMG_4037_zps8x75iwwy.jpg

IMG_4030_zpsoupcmamh.jpg

Workshop
IMG_4054_zpsdxowc91i.jpg

IMG_4067_zps6khcxsoz.jpg

This is the area where the pig iron would have been drained out of the furnace into whatever recepticle it was to go into. From Redcar, a lot of it was transported by rail to the works up the road where it was manufactured into steel.
IMG_4089_zpsoisdpdc3.jpg

IMG_4088_zpswbvhdtdk.jpg

In control.This was where the extraction of the iron was controled from. There's two sets of controls, one for the "Taphole drill" which really does what it says and drills a tap into the furnace and the other for the "Clay gun" which seals up the taphole after the extraction of the iron is complete. I think there were 4 extraction points on the furnace, I'm guessing there were 2 this side and 2 the other as this has controls for numbers 1 and 4 in it.
IMG_4096_zpsgtkeznd9.jpg

And that's pretty much it. Mission accomplished.

Exit is reverse of entry, but somehow always a lot faster. Back to the car to the nearest McDonalds for breakfast, then a few hours kip in the nearest layby before heading home.

It was an awesome weekend, but I get the feeling we're not finished with this place yet as there's a lot more that I want to see here before it all disappears for good.

Thanks for looking!

Maniac.

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Jeez you really did do a round trip to get in by the look of it. Good fun i bet!

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Ha. So not 'Drive to hole in fence. Park car directly opposite hole in fence. Walk though fence, Walk 30yards over to base of furnace, walk up stairs. Done.'

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
Ha. So not 'Drive to hole in fence. Park car directly opposite hole in fence. Walk though fence, Walk 30yards over to base of furnace, walk up stairs. Done.'

That would have worked if it wasn't for the active security on that side of the site. We took a creative route around which was easy, but a bit longer. It was more fun anyway, we got to see more of the site this way. :-)

m9

big in japan
Regular User

According to Google, we clocked up over 5 miles, there and back.
Safety first.

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
...over a beach, sand dunes, fields of brambles, coke fields, endless unnecessary pipes and a gasholder... in a group of 9.

so it wasn't even five miles 'as the crow flies' so to speak. :oops:

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
If we'd had the time the gas holder would have been the next place I would have gone.

elliot5200

28DL Regular User
Regular User
It's always nice finishing an explore along the beach at the crack of dawn.
Great snaps and another fun-filled weekend!