real time web analytics
Report - - Redmires Reservoir Plughole - "Wassoooo" | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Redmires Reservoir Plughole - "Wassoooo"

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
Every plughole is a goal, so they say. Today’s plughole was going to be a different one to this. It was overflowing though, despite being a foot under overflow level on Tuesday when I scoped it out. I had read @Torchlight 's report with interest and after a series of fails on my home ground (due to rain, snow, flooding, more rain, hidden fences, vandal grease and more snow... and more rain) I decided to head further afield for something a little more certain. This overflow isn’t connected to the reservoir as such, it’s connected to a small dam higher up that feeds from Oakley Clough and you’d have to be incredibly unlucky to come unstuck. It’s not like you’re dicing with a great dark lagoon of cold unbreathing. In fact, I was hoping it was overflowing a bit...

...it wasn't.

Torchlight’s report has the history of the place here, so I’ll spare you the repetition and in its place give you the alternative realities of the plughole, that I happily listened today while I was sitting beneath the many passers-by. One of the little shi*ts threw stones down. Little sh*t.

Two Old Ladies think they’re in a 1980’s crime thriller

“OOOOOOoooooooo, would you look at that! What do you suppose that is?”
“OOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo, it’s like a murder mystery. I bet there is a body down there. What do you think?”
“I think we need Miss Marple!”

A few dudes think they're staring into a great dark lagoon of cold unbreathing.

“I can’t believe you didn’t know it was there!”
“No”
“Do you reckon you’d survive if you fell in it?”
“I dunno. Where does it go”
“Dunno, but it’s probably full with water. I reckon you’d drown”

Giant

Dad: “Who do you think lives down there?”
Small child: “A giant”
Me: <<resists urge to emit a guttural “fee fi fo fum”>> Manage to content myself that the child’s suggestion was stupid anyway because everyone know dragons live at the bottom of plugholes.

My visit

When I got here, I wasn’t quite sure what to expect, but had other things to visit if needs be. I was disappointed my local plans hadn’t gone quite, erm, to plan. It certainly looked the part, all plugholey. But when I wandered down to the outflow I wished it was a little bit longer (the outflow system). Walked back up to the plughole and make a quick jump across the water to a dry bit. And scarpered down the hole as quickly as possible to avoid questions from grannies thinking I was stashing a body. As it happens, I spent nearly two hours in there playing about and thoroughly enjoyed all of it. It could have been a quick inny outy. But I kinda lost time a little. It was a fun place to be, even if it wasn’t one of the grander explores.

Someone had been in very recently with a banana, an apple, a tennis ball, a large bottle of bells whisky and a great big speaker. I hope they were listening to dubstep. Not that I listen to dubstep myself. But, the place called for some WUB WUB WUB. I did do some spinning, but forgot my main staff of wool and could only fire off a few attempts. None came out especially well, but had their been some wub wub wub for the now defunct speaker I reckon they'd have come out quite nice.

I was messing about taking photos and then I spotted a European Cave spider looking a bit sorry for itself, so I poked it to see how it was doing. Then I noticed the rest of the colony and regretted not bringing my extension tubes. They’re great little creatures. First time I came face to face with them I just about crapped myself, since they look like false black widows (to me). But they’re not such bad little arachnids when you get to know them. They don’t seem to ever share their space with many things, not even the slugs they’re meant to eat. So I reckon this colony must feed on the deep sense of despair and self-loathing of the dude who brought his whisky, banana and wub wub wub.

Messed about light painting and taking moar photatoes. So much so I exited too late to explore anything else I had planned in the vicinity. But happy anyway. Because every plughole is a goal!

Hope you enjoy the photos…

The Goal

1-ThePlughole8dfef.jpg

Through the looking hole

2-Up6546c.jpg

WUB WUB WUB - wubwubwubwub

3-LittleBittaBass2014a.jpg

European Cave Spider

4-EuropeanCaveSpiderb8a4a.jpg

Exploring beyond the WUB WUB

5-Explore2a3a1.jpg

Reflections on a night of bass, whisky, spiders, a banana, an apple, and a tennis ball...

6-Despairatthebottomofaplughole7fbf2.jpg

Down beneath the streets and houses, rainbow...

7-PipeofDreams99acd.jpg

The End to Today's Shenanigans...

1-Outccbb4.jpg

Thanks for reading :)

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
Thanks @KM_Punk - I like the messing about taking photos and for some reason I think drains look really cool - it's just a shame the weather has been so crap recently, because there are a few I'd like to look at locally.

It was @The Lone Ranger - hopefully the start of a personal plughole challenge...

I have a strange sense of humour @clebby :)

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
Thanks @KM_Punk - I like the messing about taking photos and for some reason I think drains look really cool - it's just a shame the weather has been so crap recently, because there are a few I'd like to look at locally.

Drains are fun, there's something special about being underground with the sound of water trickling by. The echoes are fun as well.
The weather is pants atm, we're all waiting with baited breath for 'draining season' to arrive. Got a list as long as my arm to check out. I reckon we on have a couple of weeks to wait now. By reckon, I mean hope ;)

Reactions: EOA