real time web analytics
Report - - Regal/Odeon Cinema, Essex- Feb 2017. | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Regal/Odeon Cinema, Essex- Feb 2017.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

frostyphotography

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Welcome again guys, another explore for a couple of months ago got plenty more I need to upload soon.

The History

The Regal, opened in 1931, was designed in Spanish style by the cinema architect Cecil Massey, and was the headquarters of Ager's Cinema Circuit Ltd. In 1937 it was owned by the County circuit, in which Oscar Deutsch, who had opened the chain of Odeon theatres, had a controlling interest, and in 1938 it was acquired and renamed the Odeon. The building was extensively remodelled in 1964; 10 years later the interior was completely reconstructed to provide three screens, and it became the Odeon film centre; a fourth screen was added in 1987 and two more in 1991 when alterations to the building gave a 30 per cent increase in seating capacity. In 1992 the Odeon was the only cinema in Colchester.

The old Odeon cinema was formerly the Regal cinema. It was designed by Cecil Masey, a well-known cinema architect, and built in 1931. It has a Spanish-style gabled front and originally had an 'atmospheric' interior and included a cafe, Wurlitzer organ, and full stage facilities, with flanking shops on the ground-foor frontage. Live performances were presented at the Regal/Odeon as well as films - for example, on the 8th September 1964, the Rolling Stones played two concerts here! The interior was subdivided in 1974 and the cinema closed in 2002. Now empty, the building was put up for sale in March 2012.

The Explore

Unlike our previous explores, this one was actually planned. After seeing a few photos of this place I was desperate to take a look for myself. On a sunny Saturday afternoon, we packed our gear and headed to Colchester. I was anticipating a great explore and I wasn't disappointed at all, this site was grand and despite all the pigeons, had a nice atmosphere.

So, into the unknown.

54xC6yOh.jpg

kU39mGFh.jpg

V5Rs3SRh.jpg

vpzDaDSh.jpg

vWTq4UIh.jpg

0EJAf3Gh.jpg

cpNIxgoh.jpg

jeMwRmhh.jpg

EWmqtMrh.jpg

2GkcH6yh.jpg

ZzYycinh.jpg

Now onto the upstairs, which got even better.

Rwabh2Wh.jpg

PKE56CGh.jpg

mJwFcEGh.jpg

MC3HR4Th.jpg

uITyVqoh.jpg

Waiting for a killer clown to come out of the darkness to claim his shoe back!

mykfpTdh.jpg

QCx2mSHh.jpg

iOmxurHh.jpg

fcg4JDkh.jpg

aDvKJRsh.jpg

CrSb8zbh.jpg

qa8RMO8h.jpg

nNR9fQph.jpg

fRdeMNSh.jpg

7pz5f6zh.jpg

mvcicXLh.jpg

Pbq9804h.jpg

UhOWiQ7h.jpg

Thanks for viewing :D
Frosty.

Revvd

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I remember going in here many many years ago.. first bit of proper Urbex I ever did. Used to be able to get right up onto the roof, and stand looking at the police station across Southway, then someone took the random ladder away.

Dave563

Some things are best left untouched!
28DL Full Member
This place was recently on fire, not sure on how much damage was caused though.

Revvd

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This place was recently on fire, not sure on how much damage was caused though.
Apparently quite a bit. And strangely the bits destroyed were the bits the council had denied permission for the new owner to change. Funny that! Place is well secured now though, so I guess not a great chance of taking a peek in there.

Dave563

28DL Full Member
Such a shame people this place hasn’t been used for something yet :(

Revvd

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Such a shame people this place hasn’t been used for something yet :(
Been used as a squat for vagrants, a meeting place for junkies, and a good day out for arsonists and vandals haha.
Think there were plans to become a nightclub, but that was rejected. Now apparently it' becoming luxury flats.

Dave563

28DL Full Member
Yeah, luxury flats is the new craze so that sounds more likely