Web
Analytics
Lead or Rumour info - - Regional War Room 9, Looking for information and location? | Leads, Rumours and News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Lead or Rumour info - Regional War Room 9, Looking for information and location?

Skedi

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hey guys,

After a recent trip to Regional War Room 6 I've been trying to dig into the whereabouts of some of the other War Rooms.
It's clear a lot have been demolished or repurposed but I cant seem to find much on Regional War Room 9.

It's supposed to be somewhere in Shirley (Near Birmingham) but since a Subterranean Britannica report in 2000, I cant find any record of it.
The last update on this was: "The building is generally in good internal and external condition and is used in part for archive storage by Transco."

I've searched in local newspapers and done a search of the area via gmaps but unfortunately I don't have a lot to go on. Nothing on 28DL either.
It might well be demolished by now but the 'subbrit' above seems to get updates when this happens and I feel like it would have made a local paper.

Anyhow. I'd love to hear from anyone who might know a little more about this location, or any suggestions on how to search for it.
It's quite a drive so I would love to know the rough area beforehand.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Seffy

Bally up!
Regular User
7 is in Bristol and is very much still standing! Sometimes the only way is to drive and have a look. I find it worth it if you're really interested. Drove all the way to the other side of Wales earlier in the year to check something subterranean only to come away empty handed. That being said, I gained some intel so not as empty handed as it might seem...

Skedi

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
7 is in Bristol and is very much still standing! Sometimes the only way is to drive and have a look. I find it worth it if you're really interested. Drove all the way to the other side of Wales earlier in the year to check something subterranean only to come away empty handed. That being said, I gained some intel so not as empty handed as it might seem...
Yeah I think that might be the next step.
Really just hoping someone local might be about.
Long shot I know.
I was also going to try some local libraries.

Seffy

Bally up!
Regular User
Yeah I think that might be the next step.
Really just hoping someone local might be about.
Long shot I know.
I was also going to try some local libraries.
Don't get me wrong, someone on here may well be able to help. I know there are a few people who are likely to have some knowledge of the current state of affairs there.

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
@SavidgeGuy The archive of Subbrit's Subterranea magazines, dating all the way back to issue one in 2003, is now available online and can all be downloaded free of charge in PDF form.

Magazines located here

But before you start sifting through all that here's the problem, I have a copy of the Subterranea Index dated up to April 2019 - and regional HQ 9 does not appear in the index, neither does Shirley or anything similiar. So it appears that nothing can be found in any Subbrit Magazine. But the link you posted up there shows that Nick Catford has visited it. I have always found him approachable and willing to help and I did assist him for an article in the latest Subterranea magazine, so let me send him an email and I will get back to you. Give me a few days for a response.

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
change of plan dont need to contact Nick Catford I have the answer for you:

The bunker was at 465 Stratford Road in Shirley, B11 4LD

In 2003, planning permission was granted for construction of 96 houses/apartments. An updated 2006 application is online here

In that link take note of this paragraph: "The site is approximately 1.45 hectares and is an irregular shape. The site was a former Transco depot comprising two buildings on the north of the site and a single storey building in the centre. These buildings along with the Ministry of Defence bunker have been removed. "

Skedi

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
change of plan dont need to contact Nick Catford I have the answer for you:

The bunker was at 465 Stratford Road in Shirley, B11 4LD

In 2003, planning permission was granted for construction of 96 houses/apartments. An updated 2006 application is online here

In that link take note of this paragraph: "The site is approximately 1.45 hectares and is an irregular shape. The site was a former Transco depot comprising two buildings on the north of the site and a single storey building in the centre. These buildings along with the Ministry of Defence bunker have been removed. "
Wow, great job finding that!
Really appreciate your help on this.
Shame there's nothing more to look at here then.
I've already done my research on the Bristol one so hopefully I can get down there at somepoint.
Also taking a look at the Cambridge one soon hopefully.

Cheers all!

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Yeh long gone.

Dont waste your time with Cambridge either. Being converted now. Litrally full of workmen when I went to check on it last year.

westernsultan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Can I just add if you want to do some more retrospective research please note that 465 Stratford Road B11 4LD is in Sparkhill not Shirley - Shirley should start as B90 I think

Last edited:

Skedi

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cheers guys, I'm not far from Cambridge so may take a look anyway but I won't hold out much hope.

Steviecuk

28DL Member
28DL Member
It's definitely gone now. I used to work on the site in the 90s and got to have a quick look round on a quiet Friday afternoon. It was well preserved and fascinating to see with plenty of original features. I saw it sightly before the subbrit report. It was knocked down in the 2000s to build housing. Definitely B90 not B11.

Darkplaces

28DL Member
28DL Member
Shirley was demolished in 2005/2006, I did the ground investigation on the site following its removal. The developer who I think was Wimpy Homes really struggled to get the building foundations out.

Skedi

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Shirley is definitely out from the sounds of it then. Not so hopeful on Cambridge either but I have to say the last Google street views look okay.
Its close enough that I will check it out in person post lockdown.
If by chance it goes well, there will probably be a report end of April.
Thanks everyone for your tips and advice!