real time web analytics
Report - - Remains of Mk. 1 Bloodhound Missile Site - Rattlesden - May 2011 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Remains of Mk. 1 Bloodhound Missile Site - Rattlesden - May 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

REEF

Getthegirlkillthebaddies
28DL Full Member
Visited this site a few months ago but never got around to putting a report up. As a report on Rattlesden isn't on here I thought I'd share.

This was part of a trip to visit two of the Bloodhound missile sites between London and Norwich, I found the Wattisham site to be within a active RAF base is decided to give it a miss and Rattlesden was second on the list.

I came across the Bloodhound missiles as part of my unhealthy interest in the Cold War ROTOR radar project. The Bloodhound is a British surface-to-air missile developed during the 1950s as the UK's main air defence weapon. There were two versions, the second being capable of traveling at mach two. We had these missiles ready for action as recently as 1991.

The perimeter road
Blood04.jpg

Guard house
Blood08.jpg

Blood09.jpg

Blood12.jpg

Station Headquarters
Blood10.jpg

Blood07.jpg

Blood13.jpg

Blood11.jpg

Missile servicing building and plant rooms.
Blood14.jpg

Blood19.jpg

Blood21.jpg

Blood16.jpg

Blood15.jpg

Blood17.jpg

Arming shed
Blood02.jpg

Blood24.jpg

Blood23.jpg

One of the static water tanks
Blood01.jpg

Anyone know what these are?
Blood18.jpg

The launch pads are long gone which is a shame and the building left are in poor condition but at least there being used. You really need to understand the history to appreciate this site.

For the record this is what a Bloodhound missile looks like.
300px-Bloodhound_SAM_at_the_RAF_Museum.jpg