real time web analytics
Remains of Pan Am Jumbo jet that was downed during the lockerbie bombing | Other Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Remains of Pan Am Jumbo jet that was downed during the lockerbie bombing

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

pirate

Rum Swigger
28DL Full Member
I think the subject of the largest terrorist incident to happen on UK soil is a little different to those sort of places.

in some respects I agree but the wreckage is dumped at the back of a scrap yard,it’s hardly being preserved/cared for.

The remaining part of the fuselage should be in a museum

Then it could be visited just like The World Trade Center site

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
The wreckage in my opinion should be melted down into a model of the plane and set on a stand at Lockerbie or somewhere.
In my opinion it shouldn't be turned into an attraction anywhere.
My opinion means shit but thats it.
Good idea. Im sure an artist could make something fitting out of it as a place for people remember

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
in some respects I agree but the wreckage is dumped at the back of a scrap yard,it’s hardly being preserved/cared for.

Indeed, Auschwitz and various other places with less than stellar reasons for notoriety are now tourist attractions. I'm not saying its right but there is prescedent.

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
That is 100% correct, I fully agree, a lot of sombre places are well sought after explores it just seems/feels different with this.

"Heres seat 123 and 124 where Mr and Mrs Smith died, Mr Smith was split in half and they couldn't find Mrs smiths head."

No real difference, other than numbers, to the popular crashed ww2 wreckage threads I guess and maybe somthing to reconsider but as I say this one just feels different.

I have a friend who sends me crash reports of passenger aircraft for advice but I've never considered posting them (not that I'm allowed).

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
I can only think how badly it'd reflect on our hobby if someone went there, plastered photos all over the internet, and given the current state of things made a ridiculous clickbait video of the place too and then the press gets ahold of it and has a total field day with the video and the photos. I think any such venture into that place for those ends would be in very poor taste, because we forget nowadays that a lot of people simply don't care and are only looking for internet fame and fortune.

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Yes obviously a level of decorum is implied if you're going to do an emotionally charged site.

It does open up a fascinating point to debate though; where do you draw the line with something and why?

I am quite fascinated by the darker side of human nature and therefore places where things have occured I find very interesting. Admittedly blown up aeroplane wreckage is not something that I would be bothered about going to but I can understand why someone might. My personal feeling is that anything is fair game, its how you go about it and what you do with it thats the trick.

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
Indeed, Auschwitz and various other places with less than stellar reasons for notoriety are now tourist attractions. I'm not saying its right but there is prescedent.

It’s all extremely difficult this subject mate , I have visited auschwitz & berk and many other of the dark places similar , I personally feel the death camps are in a league of their own and in my view should be treated with utter most respect these places are truly dark it’s like the battle of the Somme sites , as you have said they have sadly become more of a Tourist attraction which I understand people don’t agree with this I am
In two minds still , the major issue is their fundings for renovation of berk camp when I visited was cut by the government so it could only Be funded by tourists I visited from a historical point of view does this make me a tourist it’s a horrible catch 22 ent it ! :(

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
Yes obviously a level of decorum is implied if you're going to do an emotionally charged site.

It does open up a fascinating point to debate though; where do you draw the line with something and why?

I am quite fascinated by the darker side of human nature and therefore places where things have occured I find very interesting. Admittedly blown up aeroplane wreckage is not something that I would be bothered about going to but I can understand why someone might. My personal feeling is that anything is fair game, its how you go about it and what you do with it thats the trick.
Ya well said it’s how you go about it I agree I want us to do the ww2 underground stuff and the ww1 I would do posts on them I no many people died which is terrible , these places need listing and as much history as possibly logging , I think it’s very important all the future generations learn about this as these places won’t last for ever

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User

It reminds me of when someone years ago on here posted photos of Osbaston House, which for anyone not in the know somehow was a large house where in 2008 Christopher Foster shot dead his family & animals, set fire to the house and killed himself. I think the photos of the inside of the house appeared on here around 2011ish? From what I recall anyway - either way it caused a real stir and a big emotional response and I believe was deleted in the end after the media got hold of the photos.

That place was what I'd call crossing the line, because it was so raw and recent. Personally for me the remains of the Lockerbie plane, even though they are stored in a nondescript warehouse, is basically a grave site and so shouldn't be disturbed by people just going in there to take photos of it for fun.

trikey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

That wont happen until the investigation into the attack is closed, the wreckage is being stored as evidence as its part of the ongoing enquiry.

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
That is an interesting conundrum oort and this is my 5th reply to it, ignoring the essays where I went on and on about this and that with no real answer at the end of it all I think that is my answer, I dont know where, if any, the line is or should be drawn if at all.

We are in the hobby of documenting history through images and quite often english history is gruesome and unfair.
That doesn't mean it shouldn't be documented so I'm now unsure where I stand on this specific subject, it is still kinda new compared to the death camps for example.
I feel its perhaps more important to document the bad things than the good, its nice to find the good in life yourself but just as nice to be armed with info about the bad.

If things are tastefully done in a somber tone anything is potentially acceptable but emoticons, lols, arty farty pictures and matching goon videos really would be a low.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
That wont happen until the investigation into the attack is closed, the wreckage is being stored as evidence as its part of the ongoing enquiry.

That alone is reason enough to not go poking around, after all being arrested for potentially tampering with evidence to do with one of the biggest atrocities that's happened in this country wouldn't be a good look...

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The wreckage in my opinion should be melted down into a model of the plane and set on a stand at Lockerbie or somewhere.
In my opinion it shouldn't be turned into an attraction anywhere.
My opinion means shit but thats it.

I think this is a very good suggestion in a very sensitive situation...

Who has read this thread (Total: 472) View details