real time web analytics
Report - Ferry Point, Richmond, CA, USA - February 2020 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ferry Point, Richmond, CA, USA - February 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

S.says.hi

28DL Member
28DL Member
An old explore of mine, but it was my first. I'm new to this site and this is my first report on here, so hopefully I'm doing it correctly!

Back in February 2020 (seems like ages ago) I paid a visit to Ferry Point near my hometown in the San Francisco Bay Area. To be completely honest, I don't remember lots of the smaller details and I didn't think to take very many pictures, so I'll just give you guys what I've got, for what it's worth.

HISTORY

Ferry Point in Richmond, Calif. is a location on the end of a spit of land jutting out into the San Francisco Bay. A pier was built here when the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe (AT&SF) Railroad arrived in 1899, defining the western terminus of their transcontinental route across the United States. At this location, passengers were transferred onto ferry boats to reach San Francisco, across the bay. AT&SF had chosen this location since it was the only place near the shore of the bay where the water was deep enough for regular ferry service.

The ferry service terminated in the 1930s due to competition from other railroad companies' ferry services and the newly-built Bay Bridge which allowed people to reach San Francisco by automobile. By 1975, the railroad spur became abandoned, presumably having only been used for freight since then.

Today, the pier still exists (along with the tracks on it) but has been disconnected from land, and suffered some fire damage in the 1980s. I would have loved to walk out to the end, but there was quite a considerable gap across the water to reach it... (clearly I'll have to become better at parkour to get there someday!) Anyways, the surrounding area is presently a park, but there are still some abandoned buildings to the side of the pier which are fenced off and used to be the ferry terminal from years ago. These are the buildings I have most of my photos from, but again, I did not think to take very many pictures...

Inside the derelict buildings, nothing remains but windows –mostly missing– overlooking the bay (if you are lucky you can see the Golden Gate Bridge!), and concrete walls covered in graffiti, and loads of junk on the floor. I know this isn't a massive site, but bear in mind I was only 17 then and it was my first time doing urbex lol. Also I should mention that you can follow the tracks back through a tunnel about 300m long which is kind of cool, although I don't have photos of that.

Anyways, enjoy the pictures!

The remains of the pier today, including a neat pulley system to draw the tracks up and down. Mostly empty though. You can see some people in front, that part is public, but the abandoned buildings are just visible to the right.

As you can see, it's really just lots of graffiti, and there isn't much left of the floor...

View looking out on the water inland, it's not easy to see but there's lots of trash and junk strewn on the floor in the little pit:(

Views looking out to the bay, the pier is just visible on the left. On a clear day like this it's nice since you can feel the sea breeze coming in through the windows. Nothing is left of the second floor (if there even was one to begin with)

I wish I had more photos but that's all I've got. I'll be going back in the summer, so hopefully I'll make some more reports about some other spots I know nearby. But that's all from me, hope you guys liked it.

S