real time web analytics
Report - - REPORT – THE EVER CRUMBLING SKIPPOOL CREEK BOAT GRAVEYARD, POULTON, LANCASHIRE , MARCH 2021 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - REPORT – THE EVER CRUMBLING SKIPPOOL CREEK BOAT GRAVEYARD, POULTON, LANCASHIRE , MARCH 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dannyburn

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
REPORT – SKIPPOOL CREEK BOAT GRAVEYARD, LANCASHIRE , FEBRUARY 2021

Short History of Skippool Creek.

For hundreds of years Skippool Creek was a major trading port, along with Wardleys Creek at the other side of the River Wyre. It was in constant use by sea going vessels from the end of the Medieval period, before the 1600’s.

Goods arrived here from all around the world. Vessels were unloaded at Skippool (Ship Pool) and traders established a presence further inland at Poulton.

Once a bustling port, ships arrived from as far away as Russia, Barbados and North America would unload their cargoes. Flax was imported from Ireland and the Baltic, timber came from across the Atlantic, sugar and tobacco from the Americas and tallow from Russia.

By the mid 1700’s the amount of shipping at Skippool and Wardleys is believed to have exceeded the Port of Liverpool.

In 1837 Skippool was described as ‘The Metropolis of the Fylde’. Evidence of all of this activity can still be seen off the coast at Anchorsholme. Look out for the ribs of the Abana, wrecked just offshore in 1887. The nearby Shipwreck Memorial documents the astonishing list of wrecks in the area.

My Visit

It was sunrise on new years eve 2020, looking forward into the next year with uncertainty around the pandemic. With a feeling of worldwide claustrophobia, I wandered around this beautiful, health and safety free, old nautical port, fantasising about escaping all the turd that 2020 brought.

Fantastic rotting and decaying boats, rich in hundreds of years of history, some still used by daring roughneck seafarers. The ground is treacherous with sink holes, bogs, mud puddles that go deep and head height wires and rusty pole. Well worth an explore, and as you can see formt he video I made, there is a ton of things to see and do there. A treat for the eyes and mind.

Go at sunrise so you can see it in all its beauty. Stunning place, go before its torn down and replaced with soulless corporate plans.

As usual, I have made a youtube video about the visit which can be seen here:

Please subscribe, like and comment on my YouTube channel to help me grow it. Every like and subscription means that youtube will push these urbex videos out, so the general public can see them. Thanks in advance!

SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE HERE IF YOU CAN!

instagram: https://www.instagram.com/street__rogue/?hl=en

THANKS FOR CHECKING IT OUT!

HAVE A SAFE EXPLORE, STREETROGUE

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
I wanted to veto this due to the date of explore. But I just cant. Its a stunning report, with absolutely stunning photos too. Not keen on the promo, not gonna lie. But your photos for me are beautiful

dannyburn

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I wanted to veto this due to the date of explore. But I just cant. Its a stunning report, with absolutely stunning photos too. Not keen on the promo, not gonna lie. But your photos for me are beautiful
thanks! regarding the promo, im really trying to grow my urbex channel, cant blame me for trying! im as passionate about the documenting the actual explore as much as the static images.

dannyburn

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Few duplicates there but thats really nice. Very artistic pics
THANKS! sorry about the duplicates, not sure how that happened. im pretty new to this, so im still figuring out the tech side of uploading etc. ta again.