real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - Research NOT ABANDONED #Southend | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) Research NOT ABANDONED #Southend

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

DE-eVOLVED

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
One from earlier this year.. NOT ABANDONED !! #HISTORYRESEARCH

I wanted to find or find evidence of tunnels in Southend on Sea..

We already know that there are some repurposed cold war shelters and also that the EKCO Radio/Plastics site "had" extensive tunnels.. and other local tunnels are also rumored to exist or have existed at some point in the past

I was on a mini quest to find evidence of tunnels and bunkers in Southend on Sea.. The first place required permission from their head office..Needless to say I left my contact details and fingers firmly crossed..

We then went to the Alex.. I've not been there for a long while (loved going to the The Alex (Southend on Sea) back in cc1998 to cc2010 throughout college etc..) ..and my friend hadnt been there for a long while either..

Over a Latt'e and a couple of pints of Erdinger.. I asked at the Bar if they could tell me about 'their Cellar/Basement'.

..The head chef came out whom has worked there for the past 20 odd years.. He was friendly, polite and full of interesting information.. He invited me to the cellar and showed me a number of Tunnel Entrances and an approximate idea of where they lead.

It was very interesting.. He showed me what I am showing you .. a number of bricked up and back filled tunnel entrances, original doorways and original windows.. as well as a lowered exterior ceiling that once covered part of the tunnel structure..

I noted an inspection cover ..but sadly wasn't able to lift it to see if it went down into a bunker one of a few I predict are in that general area..

It was a fantastic opertunity to which I am ever so grateful.. i will research where the tunnels fed to another day.. but I have a clearer view now.

We were also shown a photograph that was rescued from a local residents home after they had passed.. the photo is dated cc1920 and is one of the earliest photographs of this structure, that was later transformed into the free house it is today.

During cc1996 the name was shortened from Alexandra House to The Alex (1 of 2) ..I will research the second 'Alex' in the near future. Sadly this second Alex no longer exists today..but if another building stands in its place...its possible tunnels may also lead from that basement..

I will add more pics and info soon..

I hope you enjoy the pictures.. it was a pleasure to meet ***** and a very good day all in all

-

DE-eVOLVED

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Interesting stuff. I have visited a few sites where I know there are tunnels underneath running to different areas. It really peaks my interest, that need to know if they are filled in or in tact. The Viaduct tavern, Holborn, has the cellar with cells still there, the passageways to the courts and what was a hang mans corner lay beneath this area. Same with Reigate, the tunnels once led all the way to the pub on the corner. Several others like this around.

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Great stuff mate! Wonder if these were used as an informal air raid shelter during wartime. Also I rate Erdinger :brew

morturn

28DL Member
28DL Member
With the exception of image 13, those look like chimney breast structural support arches that can be found in most houses with cellars.

Who has read this thread (Total: 223) View details