real time web analytics
Report - - Restoration of Bazalgette's tomb - Help needed - Dec 2012 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Restoration of Bazalgette's tomb - Help needed - Dec 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

GG

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Sir Joseph Bazalgette: Victorian genius engineer, friend of Brunel, builder of the London sewer system and amazing pumping stations, saver of tens of thousands of Londoner's lives. You too can use Wikipedia here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Bazalgette

Facebook status: DEAD (1819 - 1891)

Why do I mention this? His tomb is in Wimbledon churchyard, not far from where I live, and it was in a pretty bad state of repair. The railings were rusting away, the vault doors were flaking paint more than a Victorian Lunatic Asylum and the brick vaulted ceiling is collapsing. It was overgrown with weeds and rubbish was piled up against the walls. Not a fitting monument to a great man.

1. Before: (This photo credit to sarflondondunc, Flickr)
01Before_zps6a338160.jpg

2. Flaking paint
02Before-Peelingpaint_zps06455a5f.jpg

3. Inside the tomb
03BeforeJWB_zps94b7f7f9.jpg

Being someone who has to fix things I considered a night-time ninja guerilla repair mission but then decided it would be a lot easier to ask permission. It would be a lot of work and those night vision goggles eat through batteries. So I contacted Rev. Mary, who discussed it with the church wardens, who then consulted English Heritage because it is a registered monument.

After a few months, permission was given and I started work. Some significant flaking paint destruction, rust treatment, painting and tidying later, the place is looking considerably better.

4. After
04After_zps44110e60.jpg

5. After
05After_zps328a81c4.jpg

Why am I bothering to write this up? There is still a serious problem with the vaulted ceiling collapsing inside. It is going to be difficult to fix. If anyone knows of funding sources for some serious repairs or know a proper stonemason who can give an assessment, please get in touch. And those railings are knackered - they really need replacing.

If you have links into Thames Water, maybe their repair team would consider restoring the vault masonry. It would be a fitting tribute to their former employee whose engineering feats are still going strong today, nearly 150 years later.

6. Collapsing vaulted ceiling
IMG_0229_zpsfec19cc3.jpg

LF :freak

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
Good work that man! And well done @Garou Garou - a sterling effort :thumb That's a disgrace that his vaulted tomb is falling apart when his sewers are in as good a nick as the day they were built - did anything ever get repaired? Happy 200th J Bizz

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Very impressive. I'm not convinced about replacing ironwork though. Better to just do the best repair to what's there. It never looks right with modern iron in my opinion.

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Looking at the images I think the best approach is to melt the lead setting, cut a couple of inches off the bottom and re-set them.