real time web analytics
Report - - Rhiwbach slate mine Wales Jan 2015 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Rhiwbach slate mine Wales Jan 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lavino

28DL Full Member
Slate mine

Visited the slate mine with @The Kwan and @Trancentral was another exellent trip with two great lads we never fail to have a good laff on our outings. So much to see and thanks to Kwan for his map reading and navigating us around the many tunnels and levels. So on with the history and photos .....

History

Rhiwbach Slate Quarry, along with Blaen y Cwm, differed from all other quarries in the slate industry in one important aspect. The exit incline from the quarry for the finished product led up and not down. The classic balanced incline, by which the outward loaded slate wagons brought up the empty wagons by gravity, was not possible. The answer for the quarry was to build a substantial engine house to power the incline from the bottom, with the haulage wire passing around a sheave at the top. This engine house also powered the quarry machinery and the underground inclines. The remains of the engine house are a notable feature of the quarry with the tall chimney still an imposing sight.
The quarry was started at the beginning of the 19th century on a site to the South of the later main workings. This area developed into a deep pit working which has now flooded. This part of the quarry was worked out by the 1880's and work transferred to the present site. The pit working here, started in the 1860's, was later developed extensively underground to encompass eight levels. Drainage of the underground workings was through a tunnel which began 350 feet below the surface and emerged onto the side of Cwm Penmachno. The entrance to this drainage tunnel may still be seen today. When the quarry first opened, the slate was taken down on horseback into Cwm Penmachno and eventually to the quay at Trefriw on the Conwy. Later the finished product was taken out in the opposite direction, around the shoulder of Manod Mawr and down to the Afon Dwyryd below Maentwrog.
The Rhiwbach Tramway opened in 1863 and revolutionised the transport arrangements for the quarry. A wharf was opened in Porthmadog and from then on all slate went out along the tramway and down the Ffestiniog Railway. In 1908 the quarry started to use the exchange sidings at Minffordd to transfer their product to the national rail network.
This quarry was one of the most remote in the industry and it was frequently cut off for long periods in bad weather. Because of this, the living quarters almost reached village status. The quite extensive remains of which includes family accommodation, a shop and a school house as well as the barracks for the single men.
Although the quarry occupies a large area, the annual output rarely exceeded 6000 tons and it was closed down several times for quite long periods. Electricity was introduced to the site in 1934 which somewhat relieved the hardships of life at this remote location. The last workers at the quarry still barracked on site and this is believed to be the last quarry where this practice took place. The quarry finally closed in 1951 and all the machinery was removed. Nowadays, although much of the site is ruinous, there is still much to see. The impressive engine house, the entrance to the underground workings - now barred by steel girders, the extensive remains of the "village" area and the flooded pit workings.

Slate mine 2

DSC_0005_zpsd9pviro1.jpg

DSC_0007_zps0fmmrwcg.jpg

DSC_0008_zpsxrsiuvqd.jpg

DSC_0010_zpsvyzmamh0.jpg

DSC_0012_zpsr8ixiwbb.jpg

DSC_0014_zpsnscqobof.jpg

DSC_0016_zpsu32kvoui.jpg

DSC_0022_zps9e8wuacn.jpg

DSC_0024_zpsmjgnb4ax.jpg

CSC_0096_zpsezd6vjua.jpg

DSC_0035_zpsfh2cfwbc.jpg

DSC_0044_zpsqlra7fhm.jpg

DSC_0057_zpstjvi9pbu.jpg

DSC_0059_zps1a0htodq.jpg

DSC_0067_zpsmtyrehay.jpg

DSC_0075_zpsb0e0wy5c.jpg

DSC_0079_zpsb4uiw8vc.jpg

DSC_0081_zpspfktj8jo.jpg

DSC_0082_zpsrjwsf2nd.jpg

View attachment 667262
DSC_0091_zpsfzkc3rq1.jpg

DSC_0095_zpsfu3q1xvw.jpg

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great images Mike, I have some video that I will upload soon....mines is where its at, roll on the next one :thumb

stonemonkey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
good stuff lavino, and the kwan!
really nice photos pal, really nice!:D
wouldnt mind having a look here myself.

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
@Lavino dont know if you remember when I fell over on the hill on the way up and dropped my camera..:(
gotta stop this falling over lark.
lens1.gif

Lavino

28DL Full Member
Sorry about the lens :( . I don't remember you falling goin up but I do on the way back down. And dean you got some good shots there how's your camera mate.