real time web analytics
Report - - Rhosydd 9 Adit N Wales August 2020 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Rhosydd 9 Adit N Wales August 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

monk

mature
28DL Full Member
The walk up to Cwmorthin entrace is absolutely stunning, I dont think anyone will argue with that, so after a visit last year to the mine we decided to head back just to explore the rest of the area.

We waited for a decent day (which can be a long wait in Wales) and headed to the parking spot ready for the walk up.

Capel Rhosydd
Was used for the miners & familys also used as a school.

The managers house, Plas Cwmorthin.
Built in 1864

Looking back down the valley
Rhoysdd terrace remains can be seen, this would house workers and familys.

The barracks
This was for single working men.
Wet cold & miserable.

Fin finds the adit.
Not today though mate and definitely not with my phone torch

So we had a thoroughly good day exploring top side & searching for ruins and adits, of course I could have done some research on the area and known excactly what to exspect, to be honest that bores me, I like to find things then learn about it, I didn't even know what entrance I was standing in at the time.

So we headed back down past the many waterfalls and old rusty bits of machinery.

Any ideas?

The return
Obviously the adit was not going to remain unexplored so a return was planned, this time with my daughter Jess, Finn was absoulty fuming about this betrayal, but a few more years and his time will come.

Once again at the start of the adit.
I was not prepared for how long this adit is, flooded most of the way with a constant flow of water, it's just under half a mile.

The walk seemed to take forever, we were desperately hoping that we wouldnt be meet with a dead end after all of the effort..
Of course not, if I did research I'd know this...

After a long walk the mine opens up.
You can see the little dot in the background is the entrance.
On the floor is a sheave winder, I've never seen one like that so already worth the effort.

A cluster of tracks meet, known as Oxford circus.

The chamber A/B9E Engine room

A lovely wall of slate

I loved every part of this explore, the area & ruins and the mine itself.

I'm also very aware I've only touched the surface as well, which is great because there is still more fun to be had with many more trips back.

Last photo, on the way down, remains of the old tracks slowly dissapering, one day forever.

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
Awsome mate very nice good photos , I suspect Diesel engine winch winding machine as had no electric ?

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Great set there. Thats defiantly worth the trek. What a fab relaxed explore. The colours in there are amazing, the formation to be admired. Great stuff. I love the stuff coming out of N Wales. :thumb

wormster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The sheave wheel and its assoceated outbye end in the pit are apparnatley the longest system in the area, the old truck chassis and diesl engine are for haulage as well, but I am not sure if that was used undergrond or topside.

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
2300ft the adit is, perfectly straight as well. Not bad for the 1880s. The quarry bit always gives me the creeps, especially the chambers on floor 6 I think it is.

Great report