Web
Analytics
Report - - Riccarton Junction, Scottish Borders, June 2011 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Riccarton Junction, Scottish Borders, June 2011

Bovine

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
#1
When the line between Carlisle and Edinburgh (The Waverley Line) opened in 1862, it was joined at Riccarton by the Border Counties railway from Hexham.
Riccarton Junction was in a remote upland area and developed into a railway village, with 37 cottages, a school and a mission hall. The railway facilities expanded into extensive sidings, 2 signal boxes and an island platform with a bay for the Haxham trains. Having no road access, everything had to come and go by train, from coffins to children. The Hawick Co-op even had a shop in the station.
Decline set in with the closure of the Hexham line in 1956 (goods in 1958). Electricity arrived in 1955, before which there was a gasworks. The Forestry Commission drove a road to the station in 1963, as part of their tree planting operations in the area, but families progressively moved out as the jobs disappeared. When the line closed in January 1969, the settlement was no more. The tracks were lifted by 1971, but some structures lingered until th 1980's. With the exception of the schoolmasters house, the whole area is now owned by the Forestry Commission, who use the trackbed as a logging road.
A group called the Friends of Riccarton Junction was set up to restore the Station. The filled in platforms were dug out and track laid, but this ended in tears and criminal charges in 2006. Since then it has just been left, although the arrival of equipment during my visit heralded the removal of the track.
It is a 3 mile walk to reach here from the nearest road!

Clipboard03.jpg


Clipboard04.jpg

As it was, pics from Disused Stations website

IMG_4775Small.jpg


IMG_4795Small.jpg


IMG_4769Small.jpg


IMG_4772Small.jpg


IMG_4783Small.jpg


IMG_4777Small.jpg

The only building left is the former Generator house. This was the headquarters of the Friends of Riccarton Junction and is empty!

IMG_4778Small.jpg

A large culvert crosses the site.

IMG_4779Small.jpg

Part of the site was built up with thousands of tons of ash. This was removed without planning permission and has dropped the ground level, so that this manhole looks like a chimney!

IMG_4781Small.jpg

Old water main


IMG_4787Small.jpg

Former Stationmasters house

IMG_4792Small.jpg



IMG_4789Small.jpg

Kitchen sink

IMG_4788Small.jpg


IMG_4794Small.jpg

Former Signalling cabinet

IMG_4798Small.jpg

Chipping bin, used to pack under sleepers to level them
 

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
GRONK Other Sites 10

Similar threads