real time web analytics
Report - - Richborough 1MW Experimental Wind Turbine, Kent - Jan 2020 | High Stuff | Page 3 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Richborough 1MW Experimental Wind Turbine, Kent - Jan 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Xplawreading

28DL Member
28DL Member
Considering I get goose bumps going up the new ones this must have been something else. I love the fact that the telephone has call box style privacy hood, in case there’s a que of people around I suppose...

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
this is ace man! something new, historically significant, bit of rope tekkers and a birthday party. :thumb :thumb

Cheers mate, certainly a good way to kick off 2020 and remember turing 30!

That is unique! Sure does look rather stinky up there too lol. Very cool stuff :thumb

Yeah we had completely underestimated just how many pigeons would likely be inside, it was pretty grim on the way to the top but definately worth the effort.

Considering I get goose bumps going up the new ones this must have been something else. I love the fact that the telephone has call box style privacy hood, in case there’s a que of people around I suppose...

Im not going to lie, it was a bit dodgy especially considering that we were reliant on the strength of the platform which had some movement as we climbed. I really liked the emergency phone booth and thought a similar thing haha.

Kirkyphill

28DL Member
28DL Member
Wow, I worked for James Howden back in the late eighties and spent quite a few weeks working on this beautiful m/c.
The drawbridge was an access platform for servicing the rotating blade tip , which acted as a power control device and an air brake.
This m/c was the largest turbine on the Uk mainland at the time and luckily for us engineers even had an internal lift!
All the British wind turbine manufactures gave up in the 90's due to lack of government support - unlike other countries.
Hence all the current turbines come from places like Denmark and Germany.
I still have vivid memories of being in the nacelle whilst m/c underwent emergency stop tests - basically big brake callipers grab a big steel disc and stop rotation in half a turn.
Well done guys

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
Wow, I worked for James Howden back in the late eighties and spent quite a few weeks working on this beautiful m/c.
The drawbridge was an access platform for servicing the rotating blade tip , which acted as a power control device and an air brake.
This m/c was the largest turbine on the Uk mainland at the time and luckily for us engineers even had an internal lift!
All the British wind turbine manufactures gave up in the 90's due to lack of government support - unlike other countries.
Hence all the current turbines come from places like Denmark and Germany.
I still have vivid memories of being in the nacelle whilst m/c underwent emergency stop tests - basically big brake callipers grab a big steel disc and stop rotation in half a turn.
Well done guys

Hey mate, thanks for the post and first hand information on the turbine, it's an amazing to finally be able to see inside it. A lift would have been a blessing, much easier than ropes and ladders!! Id have loved to have seen it all up and running.

Who has read this thread (Total: 581) View details