real time web analytics
Report - - River Chelt, Cheltenham - June 2014 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - River Chelt, Cheltenham - June 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

paulpowers

Massive Member
Regular User
I was working in Cheltenham today and decided to avoid the gaze of all the spies I needed to get underground.

The culvert starts of with a short box section and opens up for a couple of hundred feet before the river is once again culverted, it starts with a strange shaped spraycrete affair but soon becomes a silted up 6 foot high box

Cheltenham takes its name from the small River Chelt, which rises nearby at Dowdeswell and runs through the town on its way to the Severn. The town was awarded a market charter in 1226. Though little remains of its pre-spa history, Cheltenham has been a health and holiday spa town resort since the discovery of mineral springs there in 1716. The visit of George III with the queen and royal princesses in 1788 set a stamp of fashion on the spa.[4] The spa waters continue to be taken recreationally at Pittville Pump Room, built for this purpose and completed in 1830; it is a centrepiece of Pittville, a planned extension of Cheltenham to the north, undertaken by Joseph Pitt, who laid the first stone 4 May 1825. Cheltenham's success as a spa town is reflected in the railway station

14541239631_4a2ea061f4_c.jpg

14541236181_fa6a95cf61_c.jpg

14543106014_51d525a1ce_c.jpg

14521531786_b0672aa3e1_c.jpg

14564736973_66c8309aa8_c.jpg

End of the first section

Start of the main culvert

14358016919_7d000aa3eb_c.jpg

14543680652_85865ec3c3_c.jpg

14358148947_0f3acefe7d_c.jpg

14543087094_80e705a7dc_c.jpg

14541210901_c7d6440c0c_c.jpg

14358022478_fe04f589bc_c.jpg

14541208951_4f39107c0a_c.jpg

14543665852_285b30c90e_c.jpg

14544596965_6c29a831d3_c.jpg

Last edited:

Thebluegeek

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Excellent set of photos, the belting show above is amazing and the one (guess you) of the person stood their is epic.

Did you manage the whole why in just wellies? ( that's what it looks like in the one photo)
I've seen another report were the guys say it was deeper than expected at the one end and they had to return for a second trip, did you find this or was it all a deep ankle length.

Boba Low

SWC ___/
28DL Full Member
I reckon 'mycoform' - that mushroom tunnel profile - should be added to the list of recognised drain shapes, there's a few about. Dewsbury's Transporter springs to mind.

Thebluegeek

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've just had a walk through the first section, happened to be passing and had wellies in the boot so popped in, I won't post any pics as paulpowerd has done a great job above.

The sun was setting as I went in so the small tunnel that goes off to the left was really quite eerie as the torch lit it up :-)

My Dad used to tell me stories of how he used to go in the tunnels under the park when he was a kid, anyone managed to get under there recently? I'm sure he said they got under the fountain.

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
You may have a completely different take on the first section than mr powers so consider getting a report up man :thumb

paulpowers

Massive Member
Regular User
A thousand reports have been posted about Denbigh hospital and only two (that I know of) of this culvert, stick a report up

Thebluegeek

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looking at Mr P's photos above I think maybe your classing two tunnelled sections as 'section one'? I could only get as far as the 4th picture with the outlet pipe. The 5th picture unless I'm really mistaken isn't the exit just after that outlet, which makes me think that's the end of another small section.
That's my main reason for not posting a report at the moment, I was just in a very small part and only have 3 usable photos, my first time at light painting too, looked ok on the LCD panel but a different story on the laptop screen!

I'm going to get some waders and have a go at the whole culvert I think, I had great time just in the section I was in so I'll go back better equipped and get a report up then :) Thank you for the encourage to report!

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Looking at Mr P's photos above I think maybe your classing two tunnelled sections as 'section one'? I could only get as far as the 4th picture with the outlet pipe. The 5th picture unless I'm really mistaken isn't the exit just after that outlet, which makes me think that's the end of another small section.
That's my main reason for not posting a report at the moment, I was just in a very small part and only have 3 usable photos, my first time at light painting too, looked ok on the LCD panel but a different story on the laptop screen!

I'm going to get some waders and have a go at the whole culvert I think, I had great time just in the section I was in so I'll go back better equipped and get a report up then :) Thank you for the encourage to report!

maybe put the three usable pics on the general photo thread mate?we all start somewhere and im sure people would like to see them and if needed offer advice?