real time web analytics
Report - - River Sherbourne - Coventry March 19 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - River Sherbourne - Coventry March 19

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jsp77

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History

Crouching between a high rise estate and a busy dual carriageway, the slow-flowing river looks nondescript until it comes to a large caged concrete tunnel, thrusting under the city's ring road. This is the where the River Sherbourne, once vital for early settlers, disappears from view and becomes a hidden river: contained, covered and contaminated. Historians believe the river was much larger in Anglo-Saxon times and would have supplied fish and drinking water to small hamlets in the Forest of Arden, the forerunners to Coventry itself. Despite its current condition, classified by the Environment Agency as "poor" (or two out of five for quality), some believe the Sherbourne could be liquid gold for tourism in the regenerating city. The river, which disappeared into a culvert under city centre development in the 1960s.

Explore

So after meeting up in carpark with @Punk @Yorrick @elhomer12 @Lost Explorer @slayaaaa @Alley @FreshFingers @Ferret @albino-jay @tarkovsky @tallginge @chills @Drew howe (i think that's everyone) we were all on our way for 3 hours into the murky depths of the River Sherbourne. A great time had by all and the looks we got when walking back through the town makes it all more memorable.

Cheers for a good day out, here's a few photos,

_MG_8598.jpg

_MG_8599.jpg

_MG_8600.jpg

_MG_8601.jpg

_MG_8604.jpg

_MG_8605.jpg

_MG_8607.jpg

_MG_8608.jpg

_MG_8609.jpg

_MG_8610.jpg

_MG_8611.jpg

_MG_8613.jpg

_MG_8614.jpg

_MG_8631.jpg

_MG_8649.jpg

_MG_8654.jpg

_MG_8668.jpg

thanks for looking :thumb

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Great pics mate. Wish i bothered with my camera now seeing these. Got a few handheld jobbies but these look top.

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
Cracking pics of some of the best looking parts of Coventry. Wish I'd ventured down the last bit of that side pipe, some very tasty bits down there.

jsp77

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great pics mate. Wish i bothered with my camera now seeing these. Got a few handheld jobbies but these look top.

Cheers, always worth taking a camera

Cracking pics of some of the best looking parts of Coventry. Wish I'd ventured down the last bit of that side pipe, some very tasty bits down there.

thanks mate, my legs still hurt from crouching down low to get to the end, but worth it.

Nice report, lovely pics. Good to meet you.

cheers, always good to put a face to a name

Good to see people getting out in drains despite the poor weather!

Cracking pics :thumb

thanks Ojay, drains are always fun:thumb

chills

Queller of the uprising
Nice report of a great weekend! Lovely pictures picking out some sweet details! Nice to meet you too!

FreshFingers

Choose life, choose tunnels
Regular User
I wonder what the current water levels are with all the rain over the past few days? There's an approximate 1.5m rise in our local measuring points along the Goyt / Mersey.

SkyBlueSam

28DL Member
28DL Member
Nice report and photos, we must have missed you all as we have been down a couple of times exploring this month. Hope to go back again at some point.

Couple of unedited shots.
2883D787-E2CF-4A2B-8C24-8B520150E01B.jpeg

F32EE20A-EF33-48CD-9012-C26472D95BD6.jpeg

Last edited:

SVP

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi there, these are some lovely photos of the culvert. Would it be possible to get your permission to share these photos on behalf of the Sherbourne Valley Project? We are doing restoration work along the river and hope to help the local communities to feel more connected to the Sherbourne. Happy to give photo credits, drop me an email on [email protected] if this sounds good to you, thanks.

Who has read this thread (Total: 153) View details