real time web analytics
Report - - RNPF/RAF Caerwent - May 2022 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RNPF/RAF Caerwent - May 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TheJungleBeast

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi all,

My 1st report on this page and it's from RAF Caerwent which I visited on 02/05/2022 with my exploring friend after many weeks of planning to visit.

RAF Caerwent is a massive site and was built as a Royal Navy Propellant Factory for the manufacture and storage of explosives and ammunition from 1939 to 1993.

Currently the site is largely empty but there is an aggregates firm in the north west section, an airsoft play area towards the centre to eastern end and a large part of the site is still used for training purposes by the military and search and rescue services.
The site is also used for sets in various Films and TV series as well as some rallying.

The place is amazingly big and you really need two days to fully explore every thing, we explored most of the east, central and northern ends of the site which took us about 5 hours to cover.
The explore it's self was a pretty adrenaline filled one as there were miltary dressed folks driving around in vans checking different buildings ( don't know i they were securty or military training ), so we had a fair bit of ducking and diving between the many bunkered storage buildings to add to the fun of the day.

The buildings we explored are largely empty of equipment but most are seemingly in good condition, some building are several storys tall but all of the floors have been removed leaving huge spaces to be amazed by, a few of the buildings still had the original cranes, pipe work, steel blast doors and fuse boxes intact, there are also a few blast shelters intact

All in all it was a great explore with a good dose of adrenaline, some amazing buildings and the most amazing sound of birds singing, the site is almost like a nature reserve for birds, the chorus is loud and amazing the whole time.

Apologies for the not high quality shots, my phone is old and I can't stand still or straight to save my life!

Last edited by a moderator:

babybluejuice

28DL Member
28DL Member
This is an amazing site. As you say many of the buildings are still intact with tiles, toilets, doors, etc, etc. apparently the sgt mess or officers mess is a slight to see

DanMoist

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've visited this a few times recently. It says on a website somewhere that it's only used for training three times a year. There's a few access points if you walk round looking. I've not seen a soul there on my Sunday afternoon visits. The best part so far is one of the assembly buildings with the ceiling tracks still in place. Secret Vault on Youtube did a long video of an explore here, it's worth a look.

Looks like someone isn't impressed!

"
These stupid twats come into Caerwent training area occasionally.

Old WW2 RN munitions factory taken over by the Americans at a later date. Loads of urban myths about secret underground bunkers etc etc ,tunnel systems and the usual BS.

Nope, none of the above, lots of clapped out Asbestos clad building that are crumbling into dust and are signed up accordingly. Nothing much of interest to urban explorers"

Last edited:

DanMoist

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've had a few more trips here. I've found 4 fence holes and haven't looked at all of the perimeter yet.
Check the gatehouse from the nearby street and you'll get an idea if anyone is on site, I'm pretty sure that no one is there on Sunday afternoons. It will be different if training exercises are taking place though.

There's a good bomb shelter built into the railway embankment. Grid ref approx ST 479 909

TheJungleBeast

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
We spent ages looking for a hole, we finally gave up and I very gingerly climbed over, once I landed at the other side I noticed that 2 of the up rights about 1 meter from where I was was loose at the bottom and could be swang aside haha

DanMoist

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've discovered that there can be training on the site even when it looks like no one is at the gate house. Be careful when entering. If you have drone then fly it over looking for vehicles on site. You can see into some of the site from the hill on the Western edge. I've seen evidence of training in most of the woods in the area, so you can't assume the woods will be empty. There's also the Caerwent rally on site, google it for details.
The site is being turned into barracks by 2028 so there's a few more years before security is properly sorted I guess.
"
Monmouth MP David Davies has welcomed today’s announcement that The Queen’s Dragoon Guards (QDG) are being repatriated to Wales as part of a reconfiguration of army services.

Famously nicknamed The Welsh Cavalry, the regiment predominantly recruits from Wales and will be moving to a revamped Caerwent Barracks in Monmouthshire from 2028."

Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 294) View details