real time web analytics
Report - - RNTR Arrochar Torpedo Testing Station, Loch Long, Scotland, July 2015. | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RNTR Arrochar Torpedo Testing Station, Loch Long, Scotland, July 2015.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

LancashireExplorations

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The History

Loch Long is a sea loch, which joins the Clyde estuary near Helensburgh. In 1908, construction was started of a torpedo testing range at the head of the loch, near the village of Arrochar. Handed over to the Navy in 1912, the purpose was to ensure that torpedoes ran true courses by firing them from a variety of devices, recovering them when they had run out of power. Needless to say, this was without the explosive warheads!
The busiest time was during the Second World War, but the base survived until December 1986. Providing employment in this remote area, it was regarded as the locals 'breadbasket', the only other employer of note being the submarine base at Faslane.
Left to the mercy of pikeys and wild campers, clumsy demolition commenced in 2007 after several fires, but then stopped. Locals say that the site was proposed for a marina, but to date nothing has happened.

The Visit

Set off from Lancashire in England to this location which was around 280+ miles. Got to the location and saw a few camper vans.. Entered down a old track, wasn't good in a low Focus, got a few scratches. Expected more than what we got could only get a few snaps.. Hope you enjoy!
DSCF1691.JPG
DSCF1694.JPG
DSCF1696.JPG
DSCF1703.JPG
DSCF1719.JPG
DSCF1721.JPG
DSCF1728.JPG
DSCF1735.JPG
DSCF1742.JPG

not mine.jpg
PLEASE NOTE THIS IS NOT MY IMAGE, I HAVE TAKEN THIS TO SHOW WHAT IT WAS LIKE!!

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Not much left of that now... I hope you saw a few other sites if you only went for the day!

By the way it's RNTR Arrochar, rather than RNAD :thumb

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
No worries.

A few years back there was a lot more to see. First time I went it was going dark and I didn't realise I had anti-climb paint all over my face until I was back in civilisation. Talk about drawing attention to yourself :D

LancashireExplorations

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
No worries.

A few years back there was a lot more to see. First time I went it was going dark and I didn't realise I had anti-climb paint all over my face until I was back in civilisation. Talk about drawing attention to yourself :D

I bet that was very awkward and hard to explain, lol!