real time web analytics
Report - - Road of Remembrance Naval Bunker, Folkestone - July 2012 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Road of Remembrance Naval Bunker, Folkestone - July 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

sirjonnyp

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Had another hour or two to spare in Folkestone over the weekend, so decided to nip down to this site before getting the train.

Some history from subbrit:
This bunker is located at the side of Road of Remembrance in Folkestone, dug directly into the cliff face. As with many bunkers of this type, no documentary evidence can be traced of its origins or use. It is believed, however, to be a WW2 Naval communication facility. The tunnels are lined throughout in concrete, and there are many partitioned rooms, retaining original paintwork, doors and other features, including the remains of some wartime posters. Toilet facilities also exist, at street level behind the main entrance, the rest of the rooms being down a set of stairs. Above the entrance to the bunker is a ventilation plant room. The bunker does not appear to have been used since the war, and the main doors have remained sealed for a number of years

DSC_0422.jpg

This was a pretty nice, relaxed little explore, although I did get called a 'fucking muppet' by a local hoodlum who watched my majestic exit.

DSC_0397.jpg

The metal pipe-things that ran around the bunker has mainly fallen off. Looking at past reports it would seem that the piping in the room above has collapsed in the last few months.

DSC_0404-1.jpg

DSC_0410.jpg

There were two of these mini-tunnels that had been dug, neither went anywhere though.

DSC_0400.jpg

DSC_0405.jpg

No chair shot available, so you get a bog shot :D

DSC_0416.jpg

Just before packing up I realised that I hadn't seen the poster, went over the whole bunker again, found it eventually :rolleyes:

DSC_0420.jpg

I then made my suave exit and received my abuse. Nice way to spend an hour waiting for the off-peak train, going to start running out of Folkestone sites soon though :(

Who has read this thread (Total: 4) View details