real time web analytics
Report - - Robert Fletchers Paper Mill - Greenfield - February 2013 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Robert Fletchers Paper Mill - Greenfield - February 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Fletchers Paper Mill – Greenfield – February 2013

1-4.jpg

Well I’ve managed just over 4 month without a visit to Fletchers, so it was well overdue and was good to be back. Before we even went in the buildings it was very apparent that various bits had been removed, inside fair chunks have been stripped down and cut out. Hard to tell if this is actually legitimate salvage work or just security having their fingers in their ears as the pipe work have been cut with grinders. Thankfully not too much of the charm has vanished to the local scrap dealers, but things have changed for the worse.

History

The history of Fletchers as a business can be traced back to 1829 and a company called Ralph Crompton & Nephews Bleachers and Papermakers in Stoneclough. A young Robert Fletcher began working there in 1830 and was quickly promoted, becoming bleaching dept manager and eventually manager of the whole operation.

The last of the Cromptons, Roger, left Fletcher the principal trusteeship and the option of succeeding him in the company. On Crompton's death Fletcher did just this, building the business until his death in 1865 when it passed to his sons John and James Fletcher, who in turn passed it to their sons John Robert and James.

In 1897 the business was incorporated as a Ltd company, employing two hundred staff, eventually rising to around a thousand. The Stoneclough site had seven machines but produced a fraction of the eventual output of the three at Greenfield.

The Greenfield factory opened in 1921 on a site where milling in one form or another can be traced back to 1780, producing first wool then cotton.

Fletchers continued to be successful through to the late 1990's when increased pulp and energy costs combined with a financial downturn saw the business begin to struggle. In 1997 the turnover was around £17m with shareholders funds of £9m. By 1999 this had dropped to £8.2m and £4m respectively. To try to save the business the Stoneclough site was closed in 2000 with the loss of 120 jobs there but the production of 50 more at Greenfield.

This wasn't enough to save Fletchers though, in July 2001 several creditors applied for a winding up order resulting in the overnight closure of the factory.

My Visit

Other plans fell through so Ojay and myself decided on visiting a localish venue. I don’t get bored of this place and have tried to take some different photos on this visit. For once our stroll was incident free and after a few hours enjoying Fletchers we finished the afternoon off sat in the almost Spring sunshine with a well earned pint.

I crack on with some photos and drop the waffle, sorry for the lots of photos but I do like this site and not sure how long it will remain in one piece. No real reasoning as to the order of the photos, just as I took them really.

1_zpsdff38fed.jpg

2_zpsf63ff3cc.jpg

3_zpscecde1d1.jpg

4_zps75e4a326.jpg

5_zps1822ffad.jpg

6_zps996c90e9.jpg

7_zps81b0b95b.jpg

8_zps56066f76.jpg

9_zpsd01d9f22.jpg

10_zps1004d0e4.jpg

11_zps8b9f6d11.jpg

13_zps32d34871.jpg

14_zps6d0166cb.jpg

15_zps34ba9d5f.jpg

16_zps1455d612.jpg

17_zps244be9ed.jpg

18_zpsf61f6285.jpg

19_zps6c7d477f.jpg

20_zpsd5bc22d6.jpg

21_zpsece424d4.jpg

22_zps08bdbccf.jpg

Ojay test driving his new disability scooter

23_zps91066fd9.jpg

24_zps66dfcca4.jpg

Finally a quick tour of the offices, lots of old photos and a few records from the local brass band. I probably know a few of the folk in the photos and the album cover. I think it’s a real shame that these bits of history will either just rot away or get trashed by the local metal thieves.

25_zps5b3e76e7.jpg

26_zps47549b57.jpg

27_zpscd3e4774.jpg

28_zps1dac8a23.jpg

29_zpsa4b7c39b.jpg

A quick visit to the medical room on the way out.

30_zps5ab0b250.jpg

Well that it, a great few hours, but sad to see things being stripped down especially if it’s not legitimate. Fletchers Mill is vast and every time I go I see something new, I do like here btw :)

Cheers

TLR​

Who has read this thread (Total: 5) View details