real time web analytics
Report - - Robert Fletcher's Paper Mill - Greenfield - May 2012 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Robert Fletcher's Paper Mill - Greenfield - May 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
I have been meaning to see this place for a good while, so i finally got my arse in gear and paid this little beauty a visit, i must say it was worth the wait.

Some history borrowed from drhowsers report.

The historyof Fletchers as a business can be traced back to 1829 and a company called Ralph Crompton & Nephews Bleachers and Papermakers in Stoneclough. A young Robert Fletcher began working there in 1830 and was quickly promoted, becoming bleaching dept manager and eventually manager of the whole operation.
The last of the Cromptons, Roger, left Fletcher the principal trusteeship and the option of succeeding him in the company. On Crompton's death Fletcher did just this, building the business until his death in 1865 when it passed to his sons John and James Fletcher, who in turn passed it to their sons John Robert and James.
In 1897 the busines was incorporated as a Ltd company, employing two hundred staff, eventually rising to around a thousand. The Stoneclough site had seven machines but produced a fraction of the eventual output of the three at Greenfield.

The Greenfield factory opened in 1921 on a site where milling in one form or another can be traced back to 1780, producing first wool then cotton.
Fletchers continued to be successful through to the late 1990's when increased pulp and energy costs combined with a financial downturn saw the business begin to struggle. In 1997 the turnover was around £17m with shareholders funds of £9m. By 1999 this had dropped to £8.2m and £4m respectively.
To try to save the business the Stoneclough site was closed in 2000 with the loss of 120 jobs there but the production of 50 more at Greenfield.
This wasn't enough to save Fletchers though, in July 2001 several creditors applied for a winding up order resulting in the overnight closure of the factory.

Beware, PICTURE OVERLOADZ - You’ve seen em all before probs, but in no particular order.......

Fletchers-16r.jpg

Fletchers-13r.jpg
Fletchersr.jpg

Fletchers-22r.jpg

Fletchers-24r.jpg

Fletchers-26r.jpg

Fletchers-30r.jpg
Fletchers-29r.jpg

Fletchers-42r.jpg

Fletchers-28r.jpg

Fletchers-43r.jpg

Fletchers-45r.jpg

Fletchers-33r.jpg

Fletchers-32r.jpg

Fletchers-12r.jpg

Fletchers-11r.jpg

Fletchers-8r.jpg

Fletchers-51r.jpg

Fletchers-4r.jpg
Fletchers-27r.jpg

Again, apologies if i have overdone the pictures.

Cheers for looking :thumb