real time web analytics
Question - - ROC Identification? Off the Ridgeway National Trail, nr Chiseldon Wilts. | ROC Posts | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - ROC Identification? Off the Ridgeway National Trail, nr Chiseldon Wilts.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Trilogy2k

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi All,

I had a quick look on the ROC map and couldn't be sure on the identification of this particular post.

Assuming it is an ROC post of course in the first place!

It's quite well hidden within a thick hedgerow running along part of the Ridgeway National Trail, Southeast up above Chiseldon on the high ground.
Looks to be intact and in really good condition. Hatchway was welded up but looking down through the gaps I could see water so assumed flooded. The telecoms junction box was still in place and the site was generally in a pretty un-abused condition.

I'd also noticed a couple of non ROC installations further up the trail approx 1/2 mile in the same hedge, Much larger concrete bunker affairs and completely choked by bramble.

I wondered if they had anything to do with the Starfish bunkers. I passed one a couple of miles previosuly on Liddington hill..

Any help with identification would be great thanks.

35590907161_f8d8acda87_b.jpg
[/url]

35591173151_19be6a4559_b.jpg
[/url]

EDIT: Can anyone confirm if this is the same one?

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/roc/db/988811384.016002.html

Listed as demolished?

Exact location is here;

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d51.483845!4d-1.694322

Last edited:

tigger

mog
Regular User
No ROC monitoring posts along the bit I think you mean heading West from Liddington. Plenty of structures relating to water supply of assorted dates though.

Trilogy2k

28DL Member
28DL Member
No ROC monitoring posts along the bit I think you mean heading West from Liddington. Plenty of structures relating to water supply of assorted dates though.

Thanks. I've added the exact location of what I found on a google maps link above. It's on the part running North/South. By it's design/layout it surely must be an ROC type building??

The building at the top of Liddington Hill is definately to do with Operation Starfish;

http://ww2talk.com/index.php?thread...bunker-on-liddington-hill-near-swindon.12697/

tigger

mog
Regular User
A bit further south than I thought you meant. Certainly looks possible for the Ogborne post (being shown in the SubBrit data as 'demolished' doesn't necessarily mean it is - there's one local to me listed that way but it was actually burried and again the location wasn't confirmed by Nick years ago when he compiled the list). Maps for the area don't help much as they only record some of the old (and sometimes not so old) Thames Water features.

Certainly an interesting find. Any more photos?

I know where the QF/SF shelter is - photographed it in 1986. There would be no other 'bunkers' associated with that.

Trilogy2k

28DL Member
28DL Member
Afraid those are the only two pictures I managed to take due to being on my 90 mil Ridgeway walk and needing to keep to a tight schedule.

I'll pass by that way again some time in the next few weeks. When I do I'll up a few more.

tigger

mog
Regular User
Ah, that's a shame. Too far for me to easily go and look.

As an aside, I wouldn't describe the electrical cabinet as being for 'telecoms'.

Vapeexpert86

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Sorry to bring up s old thread,im wondering if this could be a buried reserve or similar as down the road to the west it looks like some kind of radar or something??

tigger

mog
Regular User
Sorry to bring up s old thread,im wondering if this could be a buried reserve or similar as down the road to the west it looks like some kind of radar or something??

No it's not a "burried reserve or similar"...I'm guessing that 'down the road' means Whitefield comms mast (which is at the edge of one of the many reservoirs in that area)?

rich_johnsonuk

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi All,

I had a quick look on the ROC map and couldn't be sure on the identification of this particular post.

Assuming it is an ROC post of course in the first place!

It's quite well hidden within a thick hedgerow running along part of the Ridgeway National Trail, Southeast up above Chiseldon on the high ground.
Looks to be intact and in really good condition. Hatchway was welded up but looking down through the gaps I could see water so assumed flooded. The telecoms junction box was still in place and the site was generally in a pretty un-abused condition.

I'd also noticed a couple of non ROC installations further up the trail approx 1/2 mile in the same hedge, Much larger concrete bunker affairs and completely choked by bramble.

I wondered if they had anything to do with the Starfish bunkers. I passed one a couple of miles previosuly on Liddington hill..

Any help with identification would be great thanks.

35590907161_f8d8acda87_b.jpg
[/url]

35591173151_19be6a4559_b.jpg
[/url]

EDIT: Can anyone confirm if this is the same one?

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/roc/db/988811384.016002.html

Listed as demolished?

Exact location is here;

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/51°29'01.8"N+1°41'39.6"W/@51.4838483,-1.6965107,510m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d51.483845!4d-1.694322
Went today. Your location is around 10 metres off the actual location. The electronics box is in remarkable condition and is a relay (? Communication) which looks like 1960s. I think it's a roc

goingunderground

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I dont think it’s roc at all never seen anything roc like that. The roc post bunkers are all pretty much the same. And they all were connected to roc headquarters which were much bigger proper bunkers.