real time web analytics
Report - - roc Nescliffe - january 2016 | ROC Posts | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - roc Nescliffe - january 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tazong

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Royal Observer Corps Monitoring Posts are underground structures all over the United Kingdom, constructed as a result of the Corps' nuclear reporting role and operated by volunteers during the Cold War between 1955 and 1991.

In all but a very few instances the posts were built to a standard design consisting of a 14-foot-deep access shaft, a toilet/store and a monitoring room.The most unusual post was the non-standard one constructed in a cellar within Windsor Castle.

Almost half of the total number of posts were closed in 1968 during a reorganisation and major contraction of the ROC. Several others closed over the next 40 years as a result of structural difficulties i.e. persistent flooding, or regular vandalism. The remainder of the posts were closed in 1991 when the majority of the ROC was stood down following the break-up of the Communist Bloc. Many have been demolished or adapted to other uses but the majority still exist, although in a derelict condition.

Some pictures i took on the day:

DSCN1273.jpg

DSCN1272.jpg

DSCN1271.jpg

DSCN1270.jpg

DSCN1267.jpg

DSCN1274.jpg

DSCN1263.jpg

DSCN1261.jpg

DSCN1259.jpg

DSCN1275.jpg

Finally this is the video footage i took while i approached and then finally entered the bunker.Please bare in mind i was on my own when doing this and was really worried about getting trapped in bunker so it took me a couple of minutes to build my courage up before i entered.

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Haha... That awkward moment when you finally get underground and you hear a loud thud behind you as the lid crashes shut... :eek:

Glad you plucked up the courage to get down there and have a look, despite being cautious. Looks like a good find; one of the better ones.

tazong

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yes , I had a few beers when I got home feeling pleased with myself, fell asleep then woke up in the middle of the night had a nightmare that the lid had closed and I couldn't get out lol
Oh and my torch went out , total panic lol

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Yes , I had a few beers when I got home feeling pleased with myself, fell asleep then woke up in the middle of the night had a nightmare that the lid had closed and I couldn't get out lol
Oh and my torch went out , total panic lol

Haha. I think the torch going out would be the least of your worries. The lack of beer and toilet roll would be higher on my list I think.

Looking forward to your next post anyway :thumb

Rik UE

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Not a bad report that and that ROC post is in much better condition than anything around here :)

Who has read this thread (Total: 1) View details