real time web analytics
Information - - ROC Post restoration Project | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Information - ROC Post restoration Project

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Tocsin35

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi all
I am currently restoring an ROC Post within the south of England, however i am hesitant to confirm which just yet due to complication which could ultimately work against me. i have been working to source 100% original items from posts around the country with the consent of the landowners to display in ours. this is proving to be progressively more and more expensive especially for someone within a younger age category as it costs £3 a time to track down a landowner and then approach them and even then it isn't assured we can get them to agree to the preservation of items hence the costs build up very quickly on top of the progressive cost of materials. we have currently sourced a mass of paper work, bunk and single beds, gaskets, roc magazines, letters, dustpans, bins, buckets, paper trays and wooden paper sorting boxes, Jerrys cans and more. I'm struggling to keep this up so have set up a gofundme to try and help, absolutely any help anyone could give would be really appreciated and i would be happy to eventually invite anyone who helped to come visit privately as we do intend to have open days
in hopes i can provide some reassurance that my intentions are legitimate i have attached below pictures of some parts we have currently obtain and are working on.

https://www.gofundme.com/roc-post-r...a04GK9KIAQFjfO8jlSlpmHTRq7aW4lTjGPmVpjBFcQch3

DSC06132.JPG

DSC06137.JPG

DSC06139.JPG

DSC06026.JPG

Coldwarorkney

28DL Member
28DL Member
I'm restoring a roc post now as well, for a few year I've collected thing for when I get a post, now I have I have lots of duplicates if anything is needed.

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
I cant believe the op was taking stuff out of other roc posts to put in his, that was criminal in my eyes whether land owners allowed it or not.

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
This is somthing ive been mulling over since I posted and I might be swaying to sitting on the fence.
I do see the need to save stuff and I cant really explain my feelings or justify them adequately now I've thought about it but I always felt things should be left in situ and original but as you say if bits are coming out of a shit hole i guess they are getting a new life.

I do think the posts should be council owned rather than farmers though then more may have been saved.

Edit, Just to clarify I didnt mean criminal as in illegal but rather meaning its naughty, not right.

clebby

( . Y . )
Regular User
This is somthing ive been mulling over since I posted and I might be swaying to sitting on the fence.
I do see the need to save stuff and I cant really explain my feelings or justify them adequately now I've thought about it but I always felt things should be left in situ and original but as you say if bits are coming out of a shit hole i guess they are getting a new life.

I do think the posts should be council owned rather than farmers though then more may have been saved.

Edit, Just to clarify I didnt mean criminal as in illegal but rather meaning its naughty, not right.

You shouldn’t even be sitting on the fence on this, it’s pretty cut and dried in my eyes. Leaving these items to rot in some festering hole underground for no reason other than preserving the ‘originality’ of these posts is utter nonsense, especially considering no one would ever be able to enjoy them. If you actually care about posts being saved like your post suggests, surely you should be supporting restoration projects like these?

I wouldn’t even bother approaching the land owners if I was OP - I’d just help myself. The owners have had since 1991 to go and rescue items from these posts, and so they clearly don’t give a shit about anything that’s left today.

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
Well, I do see your point.
Coming from a family of vintage car restorers I guess its no different to scrapping a rot box for parts or archaloigists emptying Egyptian tombs to spread between museums across the world.

OK, you've changed my mind, saving artifacts is still saving artifacts I agree.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Well, I do see your point.
Coming from a family of vintage car restorers I guess its no different to scrapping a rot box for parts or archaloigists emptying Egyptian tombs to spread between museums across the world.

OK, you've changed my mind, saving artifacts is still saving artifacts I agree.

Yeah have to agree with Clebby most posts are destin to be demolished so it's good to use whatever is available if we end up with a few dozen restored o es. Of course Kettering where I live has one of the best restored in the country & guy I know is restoring another nearby

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member

The amount saved is more than enough - there is very small/unique interest in them. The crown sold them back to the landowners they originally had taken the land off originally in most cases.

Reactions: jST

jST

LLS.
Regular User
@Tocsin35 - Your link doesn't work anymore.

Can you imagine local authority pen pusher's faces when they were handed the responsibility of small, now useless, decrepit bunkers that are mostly inaccessible and within third party land? They'd have been filled with concrete overnight.