real time web analytics
Report - - Roches Stores - Cork - Sept 2022 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Roches Stores - Cork - Sept 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
In 1901 William Roche founded Roches Stores in Cork City. Originally a small furniture shop in a former sawmill. Over the next 12 years the business developed and branched out to include women's wear and in 1919 eventually moved to a large premises on St Patrick's street in the city centre. A year later during the war of independence British forces destroyed much of the city centre in what has become known as the "Burning of Cork".

The aftermath of The burning of Cork in St Patrick's Street

E2t6gxr.jpg

Image credit - National museum of ireland .ie

Roches shop was left ruined and he returned to his previous premises and continued trading. Government compensation helped him rebuild his St Patrick's Street store in 1927, once again bringing Roches Stores to Cork City centre. Over the next 70 years the Roche family developed the business and for a time was the only true department store in Ireland, eventually expanding to 11 stores nationwide. The Dublin branch notably welcomed Irelands first ever escalator in 1963.

This is the first escalator being installed at the Cork store

fXDq3pN.jpg

Image credit - echolive .ie

In 2006 Debenhams bought the leaseholds of 9 of the 11 stores for 29 million euro although the Roche family retained ownership. In October 2007 Roches Stores ceased trading.

Debenhams Ireland controversy

On April 8, 2020, it was confirmed that Debenhams was pulling out of Ireland. All 1000 Irish workers were sent a generic email at 11:55am on April 9, 2020 stating that "Debenhams Ireland is to be liquidated and they are to contact social welfare or their local citizen’s advice centre.” It was also stated that employees would NOT receive the redundancy package previously agreed in 2016 negotiations.

The workers took action. Pickets, protests, preventing the liquidators getting the trucks in to take away stock.

IjdVtQJ.jpg

XAQJLRV.jpg

NPfFZSW.jpg

GENwFNo.jpg

September 2020 arrived and they moved to occupy the buildings across the country.

3aHyZfX.jpg

A €1m offer to workers by liquidator KPMG was rejected as insufficient. The St Patrick's Street store occupation in Cork city ended after four days. They left to cheers and felt that something had been achieved. Many of these workers were then dragged through the court system for their part in the protests.

The Roches Stores building was initially put up for sale for 20 million euro but stood vacant for the best part of 3 years. In early 2023 a consortium of private investors bought the site for 12 million euro.

I'd not really bothered with this place because of the horrific memories. Busy sunny saturday afternoons with the better half spent being dragged through the perfume sections and searching for that particular item of clothing that can only be found after a three hour long search through endless racks of garments. (Hands up which of the grown up members of 28DL can relate).

Then all the fuss with the former workforce occupying the building in 2020 came along and adding to that the fact it most certainly wasn't going to be decayed just how i like them.
However in summer 2022 on another one of those shopping trips from hell something caught my eye that I'd not noticed before. It was never going to be an easy one to access unless you were up for smashing and grabbing so I hatched a plan i thought might actually work. A few months later with the timing just right the idea paid off and I was in. The same trick worked a further 3 times over the coming months and I was able to get around most of the building easily enough and evade capture.

It was totally worth it for the glass atrium and feeling like an extra in Dawn Of The Dead. Also there were some really cool rooms full of department store junk behind the arched window.
Exterior shot stolen from reddit

k1yv9K8.jpg

My first look at the inside once I emerged from the pitch black backrooms was the main shop floor. Still stinking of the perfume in places.

C0WVOv4.jpg

4Pes7Zp.jpg

bKNVvra.jpg

KrKXvFb.jpg

82v1NdQ.jpg

Heading up a floor and the cutest baby elevator you will ever see

R2gWgI9.jpg

j3yMQnM.jpg

Up to the restaurant - The power was on, but I didn't need to be attracting any attention to myself at this point so its ridiculously high ISO handheld shots here

fnUuz5x.jpg

b8vwkDD.jpg

uO0kyl9.jpg

07xfHwg.jpg

6LqtCzR.jpg

kkDS3UW.jpg

On a later visit I managed to find the office area. The deposit room was like a small bank with a cashier desk and window with the safes in another room behind. Again excuse the mad dash high ISO handhelds...

VRjjvWx.jpg

4OM5pat.jpg

lLSA6qL.jpg

ejs58C8.jpg

tDeDBoi.jpg
JSeK58Q.jpg

bdAgtuB.jpg

continued....​

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
Store rooms and general workshops

The store rooms were huge. Hard to explain really but they were vast.

A9qNgfu.jpg

rzRMw9w.jpg

9TOW1xX.jpg

Back room loading areas

Innl7es.jpg

pWn4eVv.jpg

A service staircase lead the way steadily upstairs and into my favourite part of the building. This part was old and forgotten.

r4MxrcE.jpg

kLR2jJN.jpg

Loads of stuff to rummage through. Thankfully this was on my most relaxed visit so i was able to have a nice poke through it all.

JknS6ae.jpg

Fg32U63.jpg

zFwHz4G.jpg

XngNUoe.jpg

Iu71vMv.jpg

d9ELQmi.jpg

All ripped out now

e0QoFPp.jpg

Thanks for looking

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Such an awful story. I think it was wrong the workers ended up pulled through the courts. Well done on covering a store that brought back horrible memories.
Images are great. Shame the internal didn't match the external. Covering all original features in such a lovely building. Nice to see that arched window though.

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
Nice shots! That Wrangler clock is lovely.

I know right. So close to getting yoinked tbh. I’d never seen one like that before.

Such an awful story. I think it was wrong the workers ended up pulled through the courts. Well done on covering a store that brought back horrible memories.
Images are great. Shame the internal didn't match the external. Covering all original features in such a lovely building. Nice to see that arched window though.

What happened to the Debenhams staff over here was shocking. A real shame they still have not had a satisfactory resolve.

The horrible memories are tongue in cheek really. The place wasn’t that bad ha. The internal is spectacular in its own right in my opinion but the original building has sure been butchered to create what’s there now. That’s why I loved the older parts above so much. It was a bit of both really.