real time web analytics
Report - - Rock Nook Mill - Lancashire | 02/15 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Rock Nook Mill - Lancashire | 02/15

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

UrbexploreUK

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Rock Nook Mill - Lancashire | 02/15

I decided to pass the task of writing a report onto one of the other guys this time so I hope it's readable! ;)

On getting out of the car and making our way towards this site, we were hit by an array of old buildings of varying size and shape, all made for the same original purpose - fabric manufacturing. This particular area of Lancashire was a prime location for cotton mills and the fabric industry, which has since subsided, leaving many abandoned mills for us to discover.

This particular abandoned mill was well locked down, it had spiked metal fences extending round the perimeter as well as each window and door being both boarded up and fenced off. This made our entry very difficult.

As we set foot in the mill for the first time, something became immediately obvious. The floor was unstable. Concerns were raised about the state of the floor, and although it was concrete there were holes present. This usually wouldn't put us off as unstable floors and ceilings contribute to the thrill of urbexploring. However when we looked through these holes down through 3 floors towards the basement we couldn't help but second guess whether this was a great idea. We pursued on though. The mill was filled with concrete pillars, old machinery and employee rooms. We made our way to one end of this floor and entered what appeared to be the staff toilets. To no surprise there was nothing of interest in the toilets so we attempted to back out when suddenly we heard a bang from the area where we had entered. We stood perched on broken glass from a nearby toilet mirror, trying not to move and make any sound by crunching it. Another 10 seconds passed and again a loud bang. Then again 3 more times. We decided it would be best to move out of the toilets to not leave ourselves trapped in a small space in case we were being followed by homeless people (again!). We very slowly creeped towards the noise - which was coming from an empty managerial office on the other side of the mill. That was when we saw the cause of our upset. A broken window was allowing the wind to smash some metal blinds against the windowsill. Disaster averted. It's no wonder we were all on such high alert after our recent encounter in the hospital.

The exploration carried on however, we delved down further, exploring each floor as we went. We hurdled over some desks and chairs that were blocking the stairwell to enter the basement. We came upon some scaffolding that was stopping our descent to the basement. The scaffolding was 25 feet off of the ground and made of rotting wood. We had a little chat about the risks involved in walking across wet, rotting wood but again decided to press on. We entered the basement, which was pitch black. So we relied on our torches to guide us through the dark. This area of the mill looks like it was used for storage of goods, it was filled with big corrugated doors for trucks to back up to and weighing scales that still worked. The basement was at ground level and located close to a road which meant we had to keep a low profile to avoid making noise and alerting anyone to our presence.

We made our way back up to the entrance, avoiding holes in the scaffolding as we went. The mill was all round a very interesting and intense find. Vandals have unfortunately made their way in and left some of the building graffitied but further into the mill it was more and more pure, still retaining that feeling of recent abandonment and giving us the buzz we get every time we go urbexploring.

[video=youtube;UPhvBduCeWM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPhvBduCeWM&spfreload=10[/video]

16408922767_f28566a451_b.jpg

16590240786_c905cde254_b.jpg

16615059351_7e468eef89_b.jpg

15994014774_bd31a9af22_b.jpg

16430397559_e6d5e462ba_b.jpg

16429182590_5c86a34827_b.jpg

16430393909_7c60ddaa0c_b.jpg

16429179740_568cb40e00_b.jpg

Hope you enjoyed this report guys, more to come soon!

Last edited:

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Seen better day's this place but good to see again

I remember Stepping Lightly lift surfing here back in the day :D

Surf.jpg

UrbexploreUK

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Seen better day's this place but good to see again

I remember Stepping Lightly lift surfing here back in the day :D

Surf.jpg

Don't think it can see much worse days, safe to say it's been hit pretty hard by the local plebs (Of which we saw plenty in a nearby car park riding around on their scooters & dirt bikes)!

Can't work out whether that's brave or stupid, tempted to side with the latter ;)

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Personally i"d delete the access details out, especially if it"s as F@cked up as you say/show :) I wouldn"t want someone off Forum say reading the above and risking it IMO. We know the risks more than most.

I"d through a few more pics in if you have them mate
Better video stability on this one :thumb but still quite erratic in places. I"ve seen those Steadyshot ? units for DSLRs to stabilise the video output, is that a special one for GoPros ? just wondered as the GoPros are so light whether it was correct for it ? maybe needs some extra balance weight added ? or just a jerky hand :D

UrbexploreUK

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Personally i"d delete the access details out, especially if it"s as F@cked up as you say/show :) I wouldn"t want someone off Forum say reading the above and risking it IMO. We know the risks more than most.

I"d through a few more pics in if you have them mate
Better video stability on this one :thumb but still quite erratic in places. I"ve seen those Steadyshot ? units for DSLRs to stabilise the video output, is that a special one for GoPros ? just wondered as the GoPros are so light whether it was correct for it ? maybe needs some extra balance weight added ? or just a jerky hand :D

Will do man, was considering it but since you've pointed it out I will do!

Basically it's a steady cam unit designed for light weight DSLRs (Like my 600D, hence why I bought it) BUT they sell a weighted "Go adaptor" (The grey block the GoPro is mounted to) that adds enough weight for it to work, the results are a lot better once you've used it for a while but it's the first run out with the GoPro on it so was a still a little jerky!

RyssmDNl.jpg

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cheers mate, better safe than sorry. As for us idiots :rolleyes:

Yeah i just wondered with the above especially with the GoPro weighing SFA it could be testing :)What you could do with is what i have under my Quadcopter with the 2 or 3D Gimbal which keeps everything level. Although dramatically more expensive :) I"m sure there will be a Chinese Gimbal head somewhere.Just a thought.

UrbexploreUK

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cheers mate, better safe than sorry. As for us idiots :rolleyes:

Yeah i just wondered with the above especially with the GoPro weighing SFA it could be testing :)What you could do with is what i have under my Quadcopter with the 2 or 3D Gimbal which keeps everything level. Although dramatically more expensive :) I"m sure there will be a Chinese Gimbal head somewhere.Just a thought.

Aye worth a look, the long term goal is a DJI Inspire but until then we'll have to make do ;)