real time web analytics
Report - - Rockwood Pigments Factory, Matlock Aug 2017 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Rockwood Pigments Factory, Matlock Aug 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

robmcc83

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is my third and final visit of the day i spent around this area.

This one was a bit more special than the others as it had 2 mines within the place, one which i got a couple of pictures in but the other was a hidden one and was wet and also like a red clay type stuff that would of ruined my clothes lol.

The explore was interesting with no bother at all (just like the other 2)

A little history then onto the pics.

Rockwood Pigments Factory is located under High Tor cliffs in Matlock Bath, Derbyshire. The factory is now empty and faces an uncertain future. It is known as the High Tor Works.

Originally called Viaton, it was originally established for mining iron ore but after this was worked out in 1850 the waterwheel was used to grind white lead. At the end of the century the Via Gellia Colour Company took over, installing a turbine to drive four pairs of Peak stones which for the next twenty years ground iron oxide. Then bone char, the waste product from sugar refining, was ground until the late 1960s. Later the site was used for blending pre-ground chemically-produced colour products for use in paving slabs and other cement products. Finally the site became part of the Rockwood group.

Rockwood_Pigments_Factory_010.jpg

Rockwood_Pigments_Factory_004.jpg

Rockwood_Pigments_Factory_006.jpg

Rockwood_Pigments_Factory_012.jpg

Rockwood_Pigments_Factory_014.jpg

Rockwood_Pigments_Factory_049.jpg

Rockwood_Pigments_Factory_017.jpg

Rockwood_Pigments_Factory_018.jpg

Rockwood_Pigments_Factory_026.jpg

Rockwood_Pigments_Factory_039.jpg

Rockwood_Pigments_Factory_040.jpg

Rockwood_Pigments_Factory_041.jpg

Rockwood_Pigments_Factory_042.jpg

Rockwood_Pigments_Factory_048.jpg

Rockwood_Pigments_Factory_015.jpg

Rockwood_Pigments_Factory_007.jpg

Rockwood_Pigments_Factory_019.jpg

Rockwood_Pigments_Factory_023.jpg

Rockwood_Pigments_Factory_033.jpg

Rockwood_Pigments_Factory_035.jpg

Rockwood_Pigments_Factory_037.jpg

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Almost dropped in here the other day, but heard that the mine had been resealed. Didn't know there were two! Nice report, especially the underground bits...

Mr_T

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Was here today, couldn't find the "red mine". As for the other with gate, its open but didnt venture passed the unstable 2×2 wood holding up about 100 ton of rock ☺ Nice photos you took, its had a lot more vandalism since your visit.

robmcc83

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Haha we was brave and went under the 2x2 wood lol.
Not really much more to see after it, we only went a little further up to the point it looked like a underground river was in front of us.
The red mine was very wet and it's like clay, nice to find but I wouldn't venture down it.
Shame about the vandalism they always spoil it and it does amaze me how quick locations can get vandalized.
Rob

Mr_T

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Watched a vid in another post and went straight to the "hidden" entrance this morning. Didn't go to far in, its just lots of red sludge tunnels ☺

Attachments

• PSX_20180102_101127.jpg
    PSX_20180102_101127.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 18

robmcc83

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yeah it's Been sludge both times I went, a mate of mine went further in but he just said it got wetter the further he went in so we still don't know what's at the end lol.
Rob

Saltburndan1971

Banned
Banned
Yeah it's Been sludge both times I went, a mate of mine went further in but he just said it got wetter the further he went in so we still don't know what's at the end lol.
Rob
I went to the very end last year.. Once past the sludge there are some amazing offshoots and two flooded shafts.. The water was crystal clear and we could see wooden framework possibly for a ladder or something more substantial. The tunnel eventually petered out.