real time web analytics
Report - - Rockwood Pigments, Matlock Bath, Derbyshire | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Rockwood Pigments, Matlock Bath, Derbyshire

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Abandoned-Sheffield

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
A nice little explore that involved a few buildings, but sadly not much left of the interiors. Both of the mines on the site could be a good further explore, but both look either very dirty or incredibly unstable.

You can check out all my photos from this explore here on my Flickr.

Background:
Rockwood Pigments is located along the River Derwent, Matlock Bath, and can be accessed two main ways - one of which proves to be much easier than the other.

The site was originally known as Viaton and was established for the mining of iron ore in the first half of the 1800s. When this was exhausted in 1850, Lead carbonate or “white lead” (a pigment used in white paint since the 4th century BC) was ground by a water-wheel of 80 horse power, capable of raising 1,000 gallons an hour. At the end of the century in 1900, the Via Gellia Colour Company then took the works over and installed a turbine to drive four pairs of Peak stones to grind-up iron oxide.

The site became part of the Rockwood group and although they closed the site down when they revised their operations, they went on to change their name to Huntsman Pigments and Additives, and are currently the second largest manufacturer of iron oxide colour pigments in the World.

The site also contains the entrance to Side Mine, a former lead mine. It was opened up as a Show Cavern between 1825 and 1845. Mining finished in 1844 when the owner gave up his attempts to drain the workings of water. The red colour on the walls and roof comes from residue from the pigment factory when excess pigment was blown into the mine via ventilation fans.

The explore:
After a short walk along the riverbank we found a good way of gaining access to the site. At the time of our visit there were a few vehicles parked along the road leading to the site and a site office that was open. We cautiously made our way around the office and gained access undisturbed. The Rockwood Pigments site spans much further than you'd first think along the riverbank and there are a few buildings to see here, sadly the test of time has meant that not too much of the interiors now remains.

A few of the buildings on the site:

49976173413_fc230531b6_k.jpg

49976959797_61970e9a31_k.jpg

49976950302_4e177c1343_k.jpg

The entrance to the on-site mine that was used during operations:

49976691386_6e7945af90_k.jpg

49976701876_bb63067566_k.jpg

After only a short walk inside the mine it looked very unstable so we decided not to venture any further:

49976966262_546c97099a_k.jpg

The entrance to Side Mine, sadly we didn't venture down as its reportedly very dirty:

49976973937_2f90d4ab43_k.jpg

Seffy

SWC
Staff member
Yeah agree - certainly would recommend putting the rest up if they’re on Flickr already; they’re primed and ready to go.

good report though - love this place :D

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
The wooden pillars for structural purposes look very new inside on your 6th photo could anyone add a answer to this is they no it please ? Looks like they tried to save this mine in my view would like to see other photos also

Urban directive

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
We went here last week, entered the first mine (through the collapse) and a few yards down is blocked by the clearest water you've seen. We also went into the second mine, which I don't recommend unless your covered head to toe in a plastic suit or waders. I have a video of the entire explore on YouTube

Abandoned-Sheffield

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The wooden pillars for structural purposes look very new inside on your 6th photo could anyone add a answer to this is they no it please ? Looks like they tried to save this mine in my view would like to see other photos also
It sounds like from other members that the wood in there is relatively new. There was a sign just outside the mine saying that it was blocked as it “posed a safety threat from collapse” - I’m not sure if the sign is new too

Urban directive

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi guys drove past about two days ago and since our visit there has been some new boarding put up on the green footbridge next to the small parking area. Not sure if anything inside has been boarded but I'll bet diamonds it has and probably the access to both mines too I'm out and about tomorrow so I'll pop by, get in and let you all know if its still accessible.

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
It often gets boarded up, when I went I climbed over the main gates, didnt fancy the bridge because it was boarded then.

Urban directive

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Your right it was there when we visited but heres an easy way around that. Its abit silly really having that massive gate and fencing and you can basically walk round it

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
I remember the big gates and climbing somthing on the left hand side.
There were torches shining round at the other end and although i could hear someone hiding nearby throughout my time there i never saw anyone. I went at night and it was pitch black. Poo written in poo on the door of the offices was the highlight lol.

Urban directive

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Honestly there is a much much easier and safer way to get past those gates, definitely wasn't us we went a few weeks ago now and it was daytime really enjoyed that one though the mines were good fun especially the second with all the red dye and water. still can't get it off my clothes so if anyone does venture down there go in old everything including footwear. We will be going back soon to see if we can find the flooded part.

Who has read this thread (Total: 288) View details