real time web analytics
Report - - ROF Bishopton - Renfrewshire - December 2011 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - ROF Bishopton - Renfrewshire - December 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Teapot

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Had a look around about a week before the actual explore. Place is massive! Overtaken by this site. Visited with chiroptera and Momentum in delightful use of our time, this festive period. Oh yeah and we played a great game of cat and mouse with security that lasted one and a half hours as we dived into the forest and various bunkers trying to find our way back to the exit. Should see our 'debrief' in Momentum's report.

Lots of stuff left in the remaining buildings, of which there are many, but the demolition is quite under way.

SAM_2912.jpg

SAM_2896.jpg

SAM_2911.jpg

SAM_2953.jpg

SAM_2913.jpg

[5] The loneliest of chairs...

SAM_2901.jpg

SAM_2963.jpg

[7] Looks to me like some milking equipment with a throne in the middle. Anyone know what this is?

SAM_2887.jpg

[8] If I squint I can imagine the window and the vent-thing immersed in deep eternal conversation.

SAM_2881.jpg

SAM_2945.jpg

SAM_2924.jpg

[11] Spot the explorer.

SAM_2917.jpg

SAM_2967.jpg

SAM_2915.jpg

[14] Loved this room

And some nice wording here and there:
SAM_2944crop.jpg

:)
SAM_2955crop.jpg

SAM_2897crop.jpg

[17]Fuck you, BAE!

Thanks for looking.

BenCooper

Mr Boombastic
28DL Full Member
Your pic 7 is a Tangye cordite press - the cordite would be squeezed out like plasticene onto a table where it was cut into lengths...

BenCooper

Mr Boombastic
28DL Full Member
The tile-lined things are beaters - the nitrocellulose slurry would be circulated in those, where a rotary cutter would chop it up. Exactly the same process as with paper pulp, so the same machines were used - I've seen Bertrams ones all over, though nowhere as many as at Bishopton.

In my pics there are a few with the blades still in place - looks like they've removed them all now.

Oh, and the square tubs they've been stripping out are older paper nitration tubs - four rolls of corrugated paper would be put in each bath and drenched in the acids...

BenCooper

Mr Boombastic
28DL Full Member
And just to complete the info: the things that look like jet engines standing on end are centrifuges used to get grit etc out of the slurry, there are also horizontal drum screens for the same. The building with the piles of bricks was the White phosphorus shell assembly building. The big black-ribbed tanks are potchers, where nitrocellulose would be mixed and stored before going off to be mixed with mitroglycerine to make cordite.