Web
Analytics
Report - - Rosebush Slate Quarry, Pembrokeshire- Feb 2012 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Rosebush Slate Quarry, Pembrokeshire- Feb 2012



Landsker

The Rock Man
28DL Full Member
#1
Finally got round to getting some half decent photos of the underground workings in the quarry, mind you climbing up the side of a quarry in chest waders wasn't fun at all!

History

These quarries form a group of four substantial workings on the western slope of a spur to the south-west of Foelcwmcerwyn, immediately north of Rosebush village, at NGR SN079301. They comprise two quarries, Bellstone to the north and Rosebush to the south, each originally having their own dressing floors and tramway systems. Within each quarry there are two major working areas, and a number of small trials; and each of the major workings exhibits a different stage of development.
Of the two quarries, Bellstone was the first to be opened up. Originally known as the Prescelly Quarry it was first worked in December 1825. By 1840 it had expanded to such an extent that it was necessary to divert the track, running north below the quarries to Bwlch Pennant, which was being overrun by the spoilheaps. Working continued intermittently to the 1860s when the name Bellstone was first used, and on a more intensive level through the 1870s and 80s when it had the benefit of the railway built to serve the Rosebush Quarry. The last company to work Bellstone was dissolved in 1891.

Rosebush Quarry had commenced operating by 1842 and was developed extensively from the 1860s onwards. The lessee of the quarry was instrumental in the construction of the railway from Clynderwen, through Maenclochog, to the site in the 1870s; and the working peak probably came in the years immediately after its opening in 1876. The development of the settlement of Rosebush, with its terrace of cottages and manager's house, also dates from this period. Intermittent working then followed through to the end of the century. The railway subsequently became part of the North Pembrokeshire line to Fishguard, and the railway buildings remained in use for a number of years after the closure of the quarry.


1, This tunnel would have carried the slate out of the quarry and onto the main line.

6891177427_e9c1f8b84b_z.jpg


2, The collapse

6891187269_8216eeee1c_z.jpg


3, The flooded Working entrance

6891208819_ddd2d2b489_z.jpg


4 Halfway

6897007303_696f971ea4_z.jpg


5 end of the line, original rails run the whole length of the working

6896912095_7b415e07d4_z.jpg


6 Moi

6896924313_8be2137a45_z.jpg


7 one of the quarries, popular with swimmers in the summer

6863605277_5a32767033_z.jpg


Not bad for an easy Saturday afternoon explore, there are more tunnels and workings but most have been covered up by landslides.
 

Attachments

Similar threads