Web
Analytics
Lead or Rumour info - - ROTOR Sector Operations Centre and Regional Government Headquarters – Shipton-by-Beningbrough, North Yorkshire, April 2019 | Leads, Rumours and News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Lead or Rumour info - ROTOR Sector Operations Centre and Regional Government Headquarters – Shipton-by-Beningbrough, North Yorkshire, April 2019

Bent Nails

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Beneath this bungalow lies one of the most enigmatic and impenetrable disused sites in Britain.

It was built at RAF Shipton in 1953 as one of six underground radar centres for the ROTOR project. The others were Box, Bawburgh, Goosnargh, Barnton Quarry and Kelvedon Hatch. Staff used information received from radar stations to direct aircraft and intercept any attack.

In the 60s, following the invention of the atom bomb, it became a headquarters for local authorities to shelter underground and coordinate action in the event of nuclear war. This one covered Leeds to Teesside.

In the 90s, the threat of nuclear war subsided and the bunker was stripped out (except for the plant), but to date it's kept secure and under active surveillance.

It's evidently still part of the Ministry of Defence. Actually, the warning sign at the entrance indicates "HMX Crown Property".

Its current function remains unconfirmed.

Last edited:

camoe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
To clear some things up....

1. It is far from 'Disused'
2. The Camera's you see are monitored 24/7
3. It is well looked after, and looking at the tyre marks in the moss below the front gate, id say it sees a good bit of traffic.

Ill also bring your attention this news article from last year. https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/ryedale/13894012.police-helicopter-and-dogs-find-suspected-mod-bunker-burglars/?fbclid=IwAR3SO-tkGkzARZKklXWO5xMgR_Xkt7tSjLi1SIsut8-dRJLa3Az5lkBwvYg

if you want better luck with a 'Disused' RGHQ bunker, head to Bawburgh.

Bent Nails

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for clearing that up. Can't have had my detective radar on. I'm aware of the 'burglary' incident.

Just one more thing: if it's not disused, what is it being used for?

Last edited:

Esoteric Eric

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I had a run in with some crazy locals at a spot in Thirsk the other year that resulted in the police coming.

This cop told us about the bunker and how he'd attended an incident of people attempting to rope access down a vent from the roof. I believe they're on 28 ;-)

Seffy

Bally up!
Regular User
This cop told us about the bunker and how he'd attended an incident of people attempting to rope access down a vent from the roof. I believe they're on 28 ;-)
More than likely :rolleyes:

camoe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for clearing that up. Can't have had my detective radar on. I'm aware of the 'burglary' incident.

Just one more thing: if it's not disused, what is it being used for?
I know a gent who who works with the bunker., some sort of telecommunications..

Subterranean hunter

28DL Member
28DL Member
Shipton bunker is active.
I visited a short while ago.
The cameras pick you up straight away and a automated voice is played over a speaker. There was signs of vehicle movement in through the gates. The padlocks x4 are I think for mobile telecoms engineers.
There was however a military vehicle to the right of the drive.
The vehicle was possibly a green goddess? It was covered with a green waterproof sheet.
Does anyone know who the owner of the site is.