real time web analytics
Report - - Round Barn Quarry - Darwen, Lancashire - September 2021 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Round Barn Quarry - Darwen, Lancashire - September 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
This has been covered a few times and isn't the most epic explore but we went for a look while we were exploring mines and quarries around the Bolton area as this is just up the road.

History - Round Barn Quarry initially started off as a much smaller stone delf that occupied the western half of the quarry we see today. Both the modern quarry and the old delf are located on the site of much smaller and older quarries that are of unknown date. Working from at least the early part of the 19th Century stone was hauled down an inclined plane from Round Barn Delf, to a small railway siding in the valley below, marked Walton’s Siding on maps. It seems the quarry was disused for a while towards the end of the century. In the early part of the 20th Century the Delf was worked once more and a tramway was installed down to the railway. In the early part of the 20th century the quarry was owned and managed by John, George and Richard Phillipson, they were the sons of a quarryman and they followed in their father’s footsteps and became owners and managers of the main quarries in Turton, viz. Round Barn and Hard Rock Quarries, Edgworth; Ouslenest Quarry, and Cox Green Quarry. A fourth brother, William, also moved into the area, running the Crown & Thistle Pub near the Round Barn Quarry.
Interestingly During the first world war John and his son John Walmsley, and brother Richard served with the Royal Engineers operating the huge quarries at Marquise and Rinxint, just south of Calais, and it seems possible that George and his sons and some of the Phillipson’s employees also served there. John was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel and was in charge of operations, supported by his son, Lieutenant John Walmsley and brother, Lieutenant Richard. John was awarded an O.B.E. for his contribution to the war effort.

Explore - This place is a nice mooch, the quarry is quite epic. The underground sections are pretty samey but still fun to explore for a couple of hours.

Someone's decided to build a creepy altar near the entrance?

Love how sketchy this looks.

There's some odd graffiti in this place, this reminds me of the 90's sitcom Frasier.

Thanks for looking.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Another nice report mate. You are certainly banging some good ones up on a regular basis. That shot with the entry hole is nice.

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
Another nice report mate. You are certainly banging some good ones up on a regular basis. That shot with the entry hole is nice.
Cheers, I'd love to take credit or that shot but it was taken by my missus. Were both quite new to using SLR camera's so still learning. We generally just both take a shed load of pics and then bicker about who's are best for an hour before posting :D. Got a lot more time for Urbex now schools are back and i work from home so getting stuff done.

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Quarry with some underground sections, nicely photographed. Good report for me.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Cheers, I'd love to take credit or that shot but it was taken by my missus. Were both quite new to using SLR camera's so still learning. We generally just both take a shed load of pics and then bicker about who's are best for an hour before posting :D. Got a lot more time for Urbex now schools are back and i work from home so getting stuff done.
Ha ha well done to the other half. Least you are giving it a go and will get more and more use to it. We are like the background explorers going out there and regularly posting and hunting out things to do. Like you with your munitions places and me with my local historic places around Norfolk and nearby counties what others don't bother with. But I like that and I enjoy that. Keep up the great work though. Always enjoy your posts.

Shaun

28DL Regular User
28DL Full Member
Another one I mean to get a noisy around, great photos! With how local it is to you supprised you haven't posted a report on crank although this place is far more impressive

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
Ha ha well done to the other half. Least you are giving it a go and will get more and more use to it. We are like the background explorers going out there and regularly posting and hunting out things to do. Like you with your munitions places and me with my local historic places around Norfolk and nearby counties what others don't bother with. But I like that and I enjoy that. Keep up the great work though. Always enjoy your posts.
I agree we seem to like the understated places, it's way more satisfying and interesting trying to dig up things that have never been done or haven't been covered for years with interesting history behind them. Although sometimes some of the more popular places look so good it's impossible to resist going for a look!

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
Another one I mean to get a noisy around, great photos! With how local it is to you supprised you haven't posted a report on crank although this place is far more impressive
Thanks! We've been down crank a few times, mostly before we started taking this hobby a bit more seriously. We've never been back with decent camera gear though, it seems a bit overshadowed by some of the other places we've been to since. We do plan on re-visiting crisp delph at some point as that place is decent but since the massive youtube and facebook frenzy on the place we've left it alone. The poor guy who's back garden the access is in has probably had more than enough agro!

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Very nice, you've caught these lovely. The colours are amazing. The alter is a bit creepy lol. Well done to Mrs MK , always nice to do an explore as a couple. You know you've got each others back. My hubby doesn't take photos, but loves the mooch.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I agree we seem to like the understated places, it's way more satisfying and interesting trying to dig up things that have never been done or haven't been covered for years with interesting history behind them. Although sometimes some of the more popular places look so good it's impossible to resist going for a look!
Yeah mate the understated places are nice. But like you say the regular places are nice. So it's nice to do a mixture of both.

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
Very nice, you've caught these lovely. The colours are amazing. The alter is a bit creepy lol. Well done to Mrs MK , always nice to do an explore as a couple. You know you've got each others back. My hubby doesn't take photos, but loves the mooch.

Thank you Jane, I found this place pretty photogenic. Nice to have some positive feedback on my photos. Mrs MK.

Who has read this thread (Total: 164) View details