real time web analytics
Report - - Round Barn Quarry/Mine - Edgworth - Dec 17/Jan 18 | Mines and Quarries | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Round Barn Quarry/Mine - Edgworth - Dec 17/Jan 18

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
Yeah, I've been to both Scout and Pinner, not been to Facit yet but it's on my list!

I wasn't too bothered in Scout because there wasn't all too much to see aside from a few bits - felt a bit weird being so close to peoples houses too?! Visited a really small one up the top of the hill right near Scout called Longbank too (which TLR has done a report on) Pinner was great though, it took me three tries to find the crane but felt really good when I eventually found it :D Got some really good pics too. Didn't feel too bad in there - felt like another one that would be hard to get lost it.

Having a look into Facit but heard loads about how unstable it is so doing a bit more planning for that one.

I think it was on my third visit to Pinner that I found the crane as well :)

TLR has done a report on Facit too. I am hoping to get in there at some point, but probably with TLR if we can wangle a joint expedition. It seems to draw a fair bit of attention, probably because of its notoriety, but finding people who have been in is a different matter. From what TLR was saying (other than it being made of weetabix), I gather the biggest worry is getting lost...

RachelLi

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I think it was on my third visit to Pinner that I found the crane as well :)

TLR has done a report on Facit too. I am hoping to get in there at some point, but probably with TLR if we can wangle a joint expedition. It seems to draw a fair bit of attention, probably because of its notoriety, but finding people who have been in is a different matter. From what TLR was saying (other than it being made of weetabix), I gather the biggest worry is getting lost...

Yeah, I've only seen a couple of reports on Facit and TLR's was the most comprehensive! It looks quite confusing - probably easy to disoriented because of the number of small adits going off the main passageway. I think there is a wooden crane in there though, so that would be good to see.

I'll be in soonish so will try and get some decent pictures to post :)

RachelLi

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It's a cracking report by any standards, thanks for making the effort and sharing.

Looks like an interesting place, wish it was quite a bit closer.

Thank you! :D

Yeah it is, definitely somewhere I'll be visiting many times again!

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yeah, I've been to both Scout and Pinner, not been to Facit yet but it's on my list!

I wasn't too bothered in Scout because there wasn't all too much to see aside from a few bits - felt a bit weird being so close to peoples houses too?! Visited a really small one up the top of the hill right near Scout called Longbank too (which TLR has done a report on) Pinner was great though, it took me three tries to find the crane but felt really good when I eventually found it :D Got some really good pics too. Didn't feel too bad in there - felt like another one that would be hard to get lost it.

Having a look into Facit but heard loads about how unstable it is so doing a bit more planning for that one.
These 'unstable' mines probably look more dangerous than they are, I've been in the Cults limestone mine about seven times and never had any real trouble though much of the roof in there looks horrendous, very cracked and fractured but the actual odds of a roof fall happening when you are underneath it are extremely small. One thing to remember about roof rock is that its not the bits that have collapsed that are dangerous but the bits of it that haven't!

RachelLi

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
These 'unstable' mines probably look more dangerous than they are, I've been in the Cults limestone mine about seven times and never had any real trouble though much of the roof in there looks horrendous, very cracked and fractured but the actual odds of a roof fall happening when you are underneath it are extremely small. One thing to remember about roof rock is that its not the bits that have collapsed that are dangerous but the bits of it that haven't!

Yeah, I've looked at a couple of your reports and posts on Cults and it doesn't look too unstable - the ceiling looks very flat but like you say, lots of cracks! I'd say the remains of the traintracks/sleepers would be more worrying because they're a trip hazard :rolleyes:

The walls of Facit look very weird - really flaky. It makes me wonder what the ceiling is like if the walls are that flaky!