real time web analytics
Report - - Round Barn Quarry/Mine - Edgworth - Dec 17/Jan 18 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Round Barn Quarry/Mine - Edgworth - Dec 17/Jan 18

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

RachelLi

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is my first report, hopefully it is up to standard! Any feedback is welcome.

History

From what I have read and seen on old ordnance survey maps, Round Barn Quarry was initially a smaller stone delf that occupied the left side of the quarry as it is today. It was then extended to the right side and the rock face now is quite sizable.

Some history from the website, "About Rivington" -

"Working from at least the early part of the 19th Century stone was hauled down an inclined plane from Round Barn Delf, to a small railway siding in the valley below, marked Walton’s Siding on maps. It seems the quarry was disused for a while towards the end of the century. In the early part of the 20th Century the Delf was worked once more and a tramway was installed down to the railway. I believe the old haulage and later tramway where situated above the current footpath on the tall stone structure on the left leading up to the quarry. A few years later the tramway was abandoned and a “mineral railway” was installed probably on the site of the actual footpath, below the stone causeway. More sidings where added both within the quarry -which was extended to its current size - and at Walton’s Sidings down the hill.

At the height of it’s production the quarry contained several large buildings, some structures being supported on towers of large stone blocks. I’d imagine this was to enable stone to be loaded into train carts below. The stone blocks are probably examples of the produce of the quarry and the some of the buildings were probably used for processing and dressing stone. Stone quarried at Round Barn included the Rough Rock or Sand Rock as it is known locally and below this the Upper Haslingden Flags; both used extensively as building materials."

My Visit

I have visited the quarry and the mines within a couple of times and taken pictures on two separate occasions. The first time was a very wet, foggy day and the second a cold, sunny day. I am planning another visit - on my second visit my torches and camera were starting to run out of battery so I would like to get some more pictures of the larger mine and have a better look around.

The quarry itself is really lovely for a wander around, especially on a sunny day. The top of the quarry consists of expansive moorland and is covered in heather and, at the bottom of the quarry, there are a lot of remnants of buildings, what looks like the mount of a crane, railway sidings etc as well as the mines themselves so there are some interesting things to see.

I found three entrances to the mines and three "separate" mines which I'm sure all linked up at one point in time. Two of the mines are small, and one quite large, but you reach dead ends fairly quickly in all of them.

The mines are an enjoyable wander - easy to navigate and I would say difficult to get lost in, and dry except for one dead-ended section of the largest mine. The ceilings seem mostly stable now (about as stable as you can expect in a mine) and the floor is easy to negotiate despite some spoil/rockfall.

The ceiling of the largest mine is covered in fossilized sea bed (as I have now learnt thanks to some smart people on here) and is amazing to see.

I've read other reports where people have said that the mines have an awful smell, but I can't say I noticed anything too bad. Overall a nice, easy mooch :)

On to the pictures-

The first mine.

39030214214_84f5b28371_b.jpg

38841100745_2d390903f4_b.jpg

39707891872_b0a39b8087_b.jpg

39707889942_726ba93f24_b.jpg

38841107295_21d6a1dcff_b.jpg

38841109645_eeecd7157b_b.jpg

39739212431_25bc0f3417_b.jpg

39739213761_2642c5da8c_b.jpg

The second, larger mine.

39739211141_aa247dc652_b.jpg

39739215821_02d92aa2d8_b.jpg

39739217721_6e7e489bed_b.jpg

27960629569_3742f05a97_b.jpg

39707920032_d1295824ee_b.jpg

38841124585_0782a948ae_b.jpg

The third (very small) mine.

39739223781_9d07784610_b.jpg

Some bits in the quarry itself.

39739222601_aa26e0cb24_b.jpg

38841130925_31892ee199_b.jpg

39707886212_cf61453421_b.jpg

39707883252_35092cd38b_b.jpg

Thanks for reading/looking :)

stonemonkey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good photos and report!, iv been in here lots of times, its where i usually go to do abit of lightpainting but iv never seen a 3rd mine, thats interesting to know ;)

The small one looks like its really suffering these days, did you see the small square cut section (looks like a large coffin type box) with a short support at the front?

I am due for a re-visit now:D

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Good report, the fossilised roof in the larger mine looks lovely, cheers for sharing your pictures.

RachelLi

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks all :) Glad you like my report!

I'm planning a number of other trips so looking forward to posting more!

RachelLi

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good photos and report!, iv been in here lots of times, its where i usually go to do abit of lightpainting but iv never seen a 3rd mine, thats interesting to know ;)

The small one looks like its really suffering these days, did you see the small square cut section (looks like a large coffin type box) with a short support at the front?

I am due for a re-visit now:D

Yeah, it's a nice easy place for a wander round.

The square cut section rings a bell - I think I saw that but the support has fallen now...

Definitely worth a re-visit :D

stonemonkey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The square cut section I am talking about is the last pic In my report on round barn quarey. Bit of a rubbish pic tho I'm afraid.

RachelLi

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The square cut section I am talking about is the last pic In my report on round barn quarey. Bit of a rubbish pic tho I'm afraid.

Just had a look at your report, I don't think I saw that actually! I'll keep my eye out for it when I go back

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looks an intersting little mine, especially the fossils in the stone. A few miles east of there is the huge and dangerous Facit mine, in the same rock strata I believe. I haven't been inside it but its reportedly vast with many miles of tunnels, the large stone mines should be approached with caution due to the risk of getting lost.

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
Looks an intersting little mine, especially the fossils in the stone. A few miles east of there is the huge and dangerous Facit mine, in the same rock strata I believe. I haven't been inside it but its reportedly vast with many miles of tunnels, the large stone mines should be approached with caution due to the risk of getting lost.

And, apparently, the whole thing falling on your head ! In Facit anyway...

Two other nice stone mines in the approximate area are Scout Mine. That's fairly mellow. At least, I didn't think I was going to die in there and it is probably hard to get lost in. Then there is Pinner Quarry, which is a little more scary and bigger, but it is a nice mine with a crane in it. It's possible to get dissoriantated in there, although it would be difficult to get properly lost. And there are some rock falls, which can be unsettling. Still, it's got some cracking features and the crane is worth a visit.

RachelLi

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
And, apparently, the whole thing falling on your head ! In Facit anyway...

Two other nice stone mines in the approximate area are Scout Mine. That's fairly mellow. At least, I didn't think I was going to die in there and it is probably hard to get lost in. Then there is Pinner Quarry, which is a little more scary and bigger, but it is a nice mine with a crane in it. It's possible to get dissoriantated in there, although it would be difficult to get properly lost. And there are some rock falls, which can be unsettling. Still, it's got some cracking features and the crane is worth a visit.

Yeah, I've been to both Scout and Pinner, not been to Facit yet but it's on my list!

I wasn't too bothered in Scout because there wasn't all too much to see aside from a few bits - felt a bit weird being so close to peoples houses too?! Visited a really small one up the top of the hill right near Scout called Longbank too (which TLR has done a report on) Pinner was great though, it took me three tries to find the crane but felt really good when I eventually found it :D Got some really good pics too. Didn't feel too bad in there - felt like another one that would be hard to get lost it.

Having a look into Facit but heard loads about how unstable it is so doing a bit more planning for that one.