real time web analytics
Report - - Roundhay Park Tunnels and Spillway, Leeds, November 2017 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Roundhay Park Tunnels and Spillway, Leeds, November 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
‘Roundhay Park is one of the most popular parks in Leeds due to its size, grandeur and array of things to see and do. Three miles north of Leeds city centre, Roundhay Park covers over 700 acres of rolling parkland, lakes, woodlands, formal gardens and contains several cafes, two playgrounds, the popular visitor attraction Tropical World and much more.’

Source: http://www.leeds.gov.uk/leisure/Pages/Roundhay-Park.aspx

These tunnels form the overflow from the lake in the park.
'Thomas Nicholson, who acquired the land in the early 19th century, filled the disused quarries to form two lakes. He recruited unemployed veteran soldiers from the Napoleonic Wars to help him build and fill the lakes, earning him a reputation as saintly figure within Leeds.Nicholson later named one of the lakes 'Waterloo Lake' after the battle of Waterloo in which the soldiers had fought to thank them for their efforts.'

Source: https://www.timeout.com/leeds/blog/nine-things-you-didnt-know-about-roundhay-park

The Explore

Another drain visit with @Esoteric Eric . I arrived first, noting the typical presence of a load of builders working on the property directly next to the entrance to the tunnels. We soon worked out a way to circumnavigate them, perhaps pointlessly as it’s unlikely they would have given a shit. Either way: stealth…

The first and oldest tunnel to the right was visited first.

38191283586_9d521e310a_b.jpg

Met by a ‘danger, slippy floors’ sign…. Safety First...

24374375948_903fe8cce1_b.jpg

37535132114_91009b92e0_b.jpg

38191285916_01d8194b37_b.jpg

38214015872_a210e1c9d1_b.jpg

Eric drew the short straw and checked the depth with his welly on, finding that we did indeed need to change into waders for this bit afterall.

24374378698_12a3481004_b.jpg

38246104371_ba2dfcc001_b.jpg

Following the deep silty bit, and a standard hike along a standard RCP...

38246103891_0ebd0f4f25_b.jpg

my favourite bit was seeing this thing appear from around the corner... Wait for it…

37535130654_454f46fb09_b.jpg

A nine-holed visual treat + ladder situation...

38214015422_32c014a4d5_b.jpg

Leaving the first tunnel the way we came, we next entered the stoopy pipes towards the spillway...

24374377738_e5fe680317_b.jpg

Cue much moaning about bad backs etc…

38246106281_fb4ba9903b_b.jpg

Until the welcome opening…

38246105791_cc05462582_b.jpg

And, finally, a close up view of the overflow which, a few minutes after we left, began to overflow in the forecast downpour I’d managed to forget about.

38246105211_74561261af_b.jpg

Taking photos of @Esoteric Eric taking photos of tunnels...

38214014732_d063e98e75_b.jpg

Reflecting in tunnels...

38246103751_587548f248_b.jpg

Climbing out, I later found I’d managed to snag a hole in my waders on the wall, which have now been securely patched up again using a handy bicycle punctutre repair kit.

Full set here

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
Nice pics mate. Good idea on the puncture repair kit too. I found a bit of sweetcorn on me sock the other day after an evenin under london :rolleyes:. Removing said sock was not pleasant!

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Nice pics mate. Good idea on the puncture repair kit too. I found a bit of sweetcorn on me sock the other day after an evenin under london :rolleyes:. Removing said sock was not pleasant!

Thanks! And I believe there's an emoji for that sweetcorn story: :eek:

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Some more impressive yorks water infrastructure. What does the sign above the triple outlet say? Never see much ominous signs on culverts in Lancs alas, IIRC!

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Forgive me asking, I have a bit of a sign fetish for warning signs like "Danger of Death! Keep out!!" and so on. Just checked that link you posted now and seen the sign, cheers.

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Forgive me asking, I have a bit of a sign fetish for warning signs like "Danger of Death! Keep out!!" and so on. Just checked that link you posted now and seen the sign, cheers.

No need for apols. You don’t have to explain unusual interests to someone who has just posted up a series of photos about the time he has recently spent in a drain ;-)

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Lol, fair enough. Good to see the yorkshire underground stuff on here. Just another question, is leeds particularly prone to flooding? I did hear there is big stuff in Hull/Humberside, but I think it is mostly for draining and pumping the flatter land, not sure if that area falls under yorkshire waters responsibility or not?

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Lol, fair enough. Good to see the yorkshire underground stuff on here. Just another question, is leeds particularly prone to flooding? I did hear there is big stuff in Hull/Humberside, but I think it is mostly for draining and pumping the flatter land, not sure if that area falls under yorkshire waters responsibility or not?

Now you’ve got me on Leeds and flooding as I don’t live there I’m afraid!